Thursday, June 04, 2009

Cool Jazz



One of the things I really love about my friend Deborah is her enthusiasm about many types of music. She suggested that we go to Blues Alley in Georgetown last night to hear Chaise Lounge, a jazz group in which one of her fellow bass players from the McLean Orchestra plays.

In all the years I have lived here, I had never been to this funky little hole-in-the-wall place. We arrived a little later than planned after driving from Capitol Hill through an hour of severe thunderstorms, replete with fallen trees.

While we were enjoying dinner, Chaise Lounge came on stage to start their set. For the most part they were of our generation -- except for the cute young vocalist who could have been our daughter. But the biggest transformation was Pete, the bass player who is always sedate in his black suit when he plays with the orchestra. Last night he was sporting a pink tie and a cute little hat and he played a blond bass. He was unbelievably animated as he provided the low notes that formed the foundation of many of their pieces.

What was so appealing about the music was how soft and sensuous it was, even though we were just 10 feet away from the performers. Many of the songs were written by Charlie Barnett, the obvious leader of the group. But there were old standards like “I Love Paris,” that reminded us of songs we once knew. The young vocalist sang all the words in a way that they just floated out to the audience.

The 5 performers played a variety of instruments, including sax, trombone, clarinet, trumpet, guitar, bass, drums, and piano. They seemed equally comfortable playing whatever the piece called for. (I tried to picture my electronic friend Anon F playing in such a group.)

About half the audience consisted of a group of Japanese tourists, who came to Blues Alley to find out about American music. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to resonate with many of them, who either listened with stone faces or closed eyes as their tour bus waited outside.

But the four of us were well entertained with the cool jazz of Chaise Lounge. By the end of the evening we were singing “Bubadubaduba” along with the band in between the words. Deborah bought there new CD, “Second Hand Smoke”, which will continue to remind us of our evening at Blues Alley with Chaise Lounge.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Darn, Pete mentioned that gig to me the other night and I totally forgot about it! It's a great group - I'm glad you made it down there.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I know you would have enjoyed the show. And I know you could have easily been the one up there playing the bass!

12:05 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Oh boy! I had not heard of Chaise Lounge, but I love jazz so I will definitely check 'em out!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bozoette -- Their music was really easy to listen to and for once I could understand all the words!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also a phone friend, and hopefully an in-person friend before too long! :-)

Anyway, I'm so glad I was there in (your) spirit! :-) Sounds like you had a great night out; too bad the tourists didn't connect with it. And yep, I do love playing in a variety of contexts (and boy, does it stretch me -- kind of like musical yoga!). Speaking of which, tonight I accompanied a chorus (everything from Brahms to Holly Near), tomorrow afternoon I'll jam with friends, and then tomorrow night I play with a country honky-tonk group...whee!

F.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Charlie Barnett said...

One of the more gratifying things that happened that evening was; at the end of the night, the rather expressionless Japanese tourists lit up like firecrackers - giving us a standing ovation and hi-fives as we left the stage and asking for autographs. I was surprised and delighted by their response. I would not have guessed that they were all having such a hell of a time!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home