Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fair warning



Thanks to Trapster, I am a reforming driver. This newest app on my iPhone may be depriving the DC Government of revenue, but it is making me a better driver.

Just yesterday I read in Merle Sneed’s Blog about an iPhone application that was infuriating DC’s Police Chief Cathy Lanier because people were being warned about police cameras and traps.

I mentioned this to my husband, who is an iPhone app expert, and as of today it was installed on my phone.

I just came back from my first trip into DC, where I was alerted to all sorts of places to get caught on camera or radar. The phone actually speaks to you with phrases like “Police often hide up ahead” and “Approaching red light camera”. In each case, the phone displays a map showing the exact location.

The overall effect was that of making me more cautious and observant in general, and specifically at the places indicated.

So back to the question of why these traps exist in the first place. Is it because the DC Government wants to educate those of us who drive there? Or is it simply a matter of revenue?

I’m more than ready to quit starring on Candid Camera and now I have help to keep me off the show!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ulysses said...

If the app's effect is to make you be more observant of the rules of the road, why would anybody be mad about it?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- Because they have fewer of my checks to take to the DC Treasurer bank. A lot of things in this world are really all about money unfortunately.

6:15 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

You guys are exactly right. Don't forget that DC has a tawdry history with these cameras. When they first installed the cameras, they (1) gave the contract to Lockheed Martin, with payment on commission based on a % of the revenues generated; and (2) shortened the yellow light phase, a super-dangerous and probably illegal act, in order to catch more drivers going through "red" lights and thus generate more ticket revenue for the District and Lockheed Martin.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I would think that speed traps are a matter of opportunity and convenience. People speed in various places and there are good spots to be relatively hidden and yet easily pull over people. There is such a place on my way to work. Everyone slows down in a particular bend in the road, there is almost always a police presence.

I hardly ever speed because my "speech thermometer" was set in 1979 when the fastest you could go was 55 mph. I have always had old clunker cars/vans that rattled like the dickens when going over 60mph. The Jeep I drive now, however, is quick, strong and fast (just like her driver!! ::Laugh:::).

11:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- I was unaware of the history, but none of this surprises me in the least!

Kelly -- I still drive the kids' old Volvo wagon that shakes at speeds above 60. That's why we bought the 11-year old car in 1996!

Careful in that fast Jeep!

12:23 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Sounds like a very useful app! I've been away from blogging for what seems like ages - been reading through all your posts! Hope you're having a lovely weekend :)

2:19 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Barbara, despite what they say, it is always the money.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Interesting app. I'd rather not drive, but I have learned (the hard way) where the cameras are on my basic routes.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home