Sunday, July 05, 2009

Regretted words



Last night as we headed out for a bite to eat before showing up at my friend’s condo for fireworks, I was pretty sure I knew exactly where to find the new sushi restaurant. I had looked it up at home and knew it was in the shadow of the Department of Labor.

However my iPhone addicted family called on Google’s GPS capability and as we approached the tunnel under the Capitol, someone said I should get off on C Street. I knew it was wrong, but who was I to argue with Google? As I took a quick left to exit, I knew fully well that 2nd Street SE was not anywhere near 2nd Street NW, where we needed to go.

If everyone had just said OOPS at that point, it would have been fine. But instead someone said it was just north of Pennsylvania Avenue (which indeed it was NW) and told me to get on 1st Street, which I knew to be blocked off.

Amid lots of bad information, I finally lost it, said “Shut up”, and drove to the address, only to find the sushi place dark and very closed.

But the damage had been done with my outburst. This isn’t the first such offense. I seem to be the one who always goes off when I’m stressed. I don’t mean to sometimes yell at my family, but it happens.

I think we’re all friends again, but I keep hoping I will learn how to be diplomatic and avoid hurting people’s feelings, especially feelings of those I love.

Meanwhile I offer no apologies for hating GPS systems. I much prefer to find my own way, even if I (God forbid) make a mistake!

9 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

There is nothing worse than bad advice from people who don't quite know what they're talking about and think their various electronic devices are always right. Those things are not perfect and should not be used to override the sense of direction of somebody who does in fact know where she is going. So there!
And my word verification just so happened to be RANTE - that's RANT with an E!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- That was exactly the justification I used for losing my cool, but these people were family who thought they were helping. They didn't deserve to be yelled at.

It's a good thing I can RANT or RANTE on this Blog. It's like an escape valve for pent-up steam...

My WV is "forcin". Funny how these things come up.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

We all have these moments, Barbara! They're kind of scary, but if this sort of thing had to happen, at least it was with your family members -- they know you love them and will chalk it up for what it was, a momentary outburst. All we can do under such circumstances is apologize and move on! :)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

There was a girl at the fair wearing a tee-shirt that said, "Everybody loves an Irish Girl"! I pointed it out to my mom and she said, "Oh yes, everyone loves an IRish girl...until they get a taste of her anger!"

Hmmmm....

I have spent the week controlling my anger at my team partner. She was so annoying! She took this supercillious air from the very beginning and never let up. I am really amazed that I managed to be gracious and ignore her slights, barbs and superior tone that came through on her emails.

grrrrrrr-r-r I have spent the week swallowing my natural inclination!! But now the paper is turned in and I don't have collaborate with her anymore... mission accomplished!

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so kind here on your blog, that, I can not imagine you blowing up and starting some fireworks.

Although, that's what everyone thinks about me, except my family and close friends.

Well, maybe not close friends, but my 2 brothers. They know how I can react. And I don't like it, but, oh well, humm, that's me.

Hahaha, my word verifi is "workxz"
"T"

1:42 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I guess what I was trying to say was don't be so hard on yourself. It is sometimes difficult to respond in a gracious manner under those particular circumstances - especially while driving.

10:38 AM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I would have made fun of my family members for their Crackphone addiction.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's so easy to hurt the ones we love, with just a word or two. Fortunately, families have this amazing capacity to heal and continue loving.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

ouch! Seems like a tense moment there. The seconds that immediately follow are so strange aren't they? The point is that we all have moments like that and thankfully they don't happen too often. When they do all you can do is apologize and move on. If someone wants to hold a grudge then it becomes their issue not yours. It wasn't planned, it was spur of the moment brought on by frustration.

I was in a 'fight' like this once with my old roomie and he just laughed when I got that way. It was classic and I never forgot how it changed the situation right away. Laughter is the key.

(My WV is Purrin....)

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home