Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Winding down


Today I am on my own since it’s a work day for everyone else. It’s been a day of getting ready to go home.

I was extremely lucky to have my own room during my say in SF, since one of my daughter’s housemates had gone home to DC for a few days. This morning I went to the neighborhood laundromat (with my rolling suitcase) to wash bed linens, towels, and dish towels. The machines take a lot more quarters than they used to when I occasionally used a laundromat. This place was rather bizarre because it cautioned you not to leave your clothes unattended and yet there was no place to sit down!



After putting the sheets back on the bed and doing as much as I could to pack my little suitcase, I hopped on the bus to go explore Fillmore Street. One of my favorite stores from our last visit is Bittersweet, where you can find some very interesting chocolate and coffee selections. I bought a tin of mixed chocolates for my gracious hosts.



I passed a cute little cafe where people were eating out on the sidewalk. I just couldn’t resist the wild mushroom mac & cheese with truffle oil. It came with a hunk of crusty whole wheat bread.



A single bus fare lets you get on and off buses for 2 hours here. So I took the same two buses in the reverse direction and am now back “home”. The picture at the top is a view across the street from my home away from home.

4 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

Wow, that wild mushroom mac & cheese with truffle oil looks really good. Hope it was!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed having some time by yourself in your home away from home! That mac & cheese has my stomach rumbling...Have a safe and smooth trip home.

F.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Ditto on the Mac and Cheese! If the laundromat puts in seats, they get homeless people hanging out.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Agreed re. the mac and cheese! (We all responded to the same element of this post, it seems: STARCH!)

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home