Saturday, November 28, 2009

BYOL


We’re  invited to an old friend’s house for a post-Thanksgiving dinner, where everyone brings their leftovers to share.  It’s a chance to clean out your bulging refrigerator and socialize at the same time.

So the question of the day is whether to take our “best” leftovers or the ones that are the most plentiful.  Do we take the things that might give us a label of “outstanding cook” or anonymously contribute to mediocrity?

I’m for getting rid of as much of those miscellaneous containers in the refrigerator as possible, but I am sensing a determination on the part of another family member to hold onto his outrageously delicious garlicky mashed potatoes.   We can’t take the dark meat that was still running red juice after it was carved.

I’m sure we’ll come up with enough to legitimize our invitation.  These are people we have known for over 20 years who have children exactly our children’s ages, so it will be fun to get everyone together again.  The food is actually a secondary consideration.

How are you dealing with all the leftovers?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I was saving the turkey leftovers that my mom gave me for turkey sandwiches this week, but while we were out this afternoon, my mother-in-law decided that she didn't want the soup I left and she and my father-in-law had turkey instead. so, ok. My husband said he'll make it up to me by eating the soup (not sure he gets it). Oh well!

11:46 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

no Thanksgiving here for us of course, but after Christmas the best leftover meal in our family is my sisters "everything leftover" quiche - turkey, bacon rolls, sprouts, potatoes - everything goes in. Its delicious

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're dealing with them by eating them! And last night my partner made soup stock from the turkey carcass. We'll freeze some and use some this week, I think.

I just l-o-v-e leftover stuffing...

F.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home