Monday, November 16, 2009

Gym Update


Thought you might like an update on my gym project.  Not surprisingly, it’s not easy and sometimes my body complains.

My trainer Emily’s motto is the level of difficulty is just about right if you are sore for only two days after a training session.  Her other motto is “Let’s add a little more weight.”

She is pushing me to my limit in a very supportive and understanding way.  We’re working on areas that have been tight (or loose) for decades.  That would be chest (from hunching over a variety of computers), abs, hamstrings, quads, lower back.  I think we’ve covered most body parts by now.

I have 4 more sessions with Emily.  Then I will have to decide whether I know enough to do this on my own or whether I need the supervision and incentive provided by a personal trainer.  I’m thinking the latter just for a while.

Having an appointment certainly makes me get out of bed and get over to the gym instead of finding an excuse not to go.

Today I had another incentive.  My friend KC was cooperative enough to time her workout to end when mine did and then we took ourselves over to Caribou Coffee to catch up on each other’s life.  Although she is the fittest 60-year-old I have ever known, we could be gym partners in spirit!

As a result of even a few trips to the gym, I notice I’m not nearly so stiff when I wake up in the morning and I definitely sleep better at night.

Despite the mild soreness that actually feels healthy, I’m sure my body is grateful for this intervention before it’s too late.

I’m off to yoga now to add some gentle stretches to a busy day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Great! I'm glad the gym is having some benefits already! I think working out is a major reason why I almost always sleep well.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

It's really nice to hear about someone working out and feeling better already. I'm starting to get in the mood to get my old gym habit back.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Great job, Barbara! I'm glad to hear that pushing myself is the right way to go and the aches are deserved, in a good way. If you ever feel like walking, let me know.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home