Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pick a Road


When we set out for Charlottesville today, there seemed to be choice between a route (I-66 + US29) with fewer miles but (what seemed like) dozens of traffic lights and another route (I-64 + I-95) that was made for cruise control but was 35 miles longer.  I was the driver since my husband’s aching feet were the purpose of our visit (so he could start the process of getting molded shoes). 

He suggested that we take the shorter route with all the traffic signals since the shoe guy had recommended it.  I found it incredibly frustrating to get up to a reasonable speed and then have to stop every few minutes.  The rain didn’t help either.  It ended up taking almost 2-1/2 hours.  Not bad for 115 miles.

He left an impression of his feet (literally), we ate the picnic lunch I had packed, and then we headed back up the road.

By this time the dregs of Hurricane Ida had intensified the rain.  I opted for the cruise control route, knowing it was 35 miles longer, but wanting to avoid all that starting and stopping.  It was a miserable drive because of the relentless rain, but otherwise no big deal.  It took almost the exact same number of minutes.  My leg felt better for having rested most of the way home.

So which route would you have chosen if you were making this trip?

9 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

I always took 29, but those traffic lights were bothersome. Apparently, someone did not want to spend the money to build above- or below-grade crossings.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- If they would just synchronize the lights so if you went at the speed limit you wouldn't have to stop so often, 29 would be the way to go.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I'd opt for the additional 35 miles but then I have a standard shift and plantar fasciitis AND bursitis in my gas pedal foot... what's the diagnosis with David's?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I think one of the reasons I complained about all the starting and stopping was because I woke up yesterday with a sore (new) hip. Pain has a way of trying to force certain decisions! So it sounds like we would be on the longer, faster road together.

As for David, he is still trying to get a good diagnosis. It is obviously a nerve problem. My friend and doctor Deborah suggested that he might have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, which is causing the nerves to fire in his feet without a good reason. The molded shoe approach is sort of a last ditch effort to stop the pain. He's usually fairly optimistic, but the difficulty standing and walking is starting to get him down.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I usually like "blue highways," even with stoplights, because they're more interesting -- but in the rain all bets are off, because you can't really enjoy the scenery.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the rain and the fact that I drive an old pick-up w/manual transmission, I would have definitely taken the route w/fewer stoplights. Glad you made it back safe and sound. So sorry David's foot problem has not improved!

F.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I too like back roads when I am not in a hurry to get to an appointment (as we were yesterday). My husband did comment how much more interesting the slow road's scenery was, even through the sheets of rain.

Anon -- Yes, that many lights and a manual transmission truck wouldn't be so much fun.

I'm still optimistic that David's foot problem can be somehow fixed and life will return to normal again. But meanwhile we must cancel our Costa Rica trip (hopefully it will be more like reschedule). Boo hoo!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

What a shame that you have to cancel your trip! Although it would not be fun to take a vacation like that with malfunctioning painful feet. I hope his feet get better soon!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'd probably take the highway. Stopping and going drives me nuts.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home