Thursday, December 17, 2009

Choices


A while back I learned of a doctor, a physiatrist, who might be able to help me understand why my hip doesn’t exactly work the way everyone else’s does, not even before it was broken and replaced.  The earliest appointment was two months off.  I looked forward to that day with curious anticipation.

Then Zelda died and instead of going to see the new doctor I got to go to her funeral and start the appointment clock ticking all over again for another two months.

I’ve been invited back to the holiday party at my old office this year.  I had made an appointment to get my hair touched up so as to look not quite so old and retired for the party.

Then Zelda died and I had to reschedule for next week when I don’t have a party to go to.  They will just have to see me with my natural state of gray.

We are constantly faced with difficult choices and sometimes disappointments.  As sorry as I am to have missed those two appointments, I’m glad I made the choice I did to be there in Detroit.  The two months are but a fraction of the lifetime I’ve had my quirky hip and strange gait.  My hair really is quite insignificant in the scheme of things.

But while in Detroit, I did choose to buy a very cool gift to contribute to the round robin gift exchange at the holiday party today.  It’s a little pouch that contains a shopping bag, something we always need.  I gave one as a birthday gift to another 60-something, telling her it would serve to collect her marbles if she ever started to lose them.  (If only that were the case...)

3 Comments:

Blogger rachaelgking said...

Doesn't it always happen that way! I had my two big parties last weekend and couldn't see MY hairdresser til Tuesday. Sigh.

At least I'll look good for the fam next week?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Cute bag... I actually prefer the choices that don't seem like choices at all - hair color or family? It's when they're more on par that I run into problems.

What to do? What to do?!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Something always comes along to put our lives in perspective, doesn't it? I like the bag - a student gave me one last year that folds into a small self-pack - very convenient when I'm going into just one store for a few things.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home