Monday, December 07, 2009

Going Glass


I seem to have perfected the art of wasting time and spending money with the click of a mouse.  This morning my husband read an article in the NY Times that scared me into replacing our ancient plastic food storage containers with glass.

Nicholas Kristof wrote about the dangers of microwaving food in plastic containers or running those same containers through the dishwasher.  I haven’t done the former for a long time, nor have I heated food covered in plastic wrap in the microwave.  But I have continued to throw the dirty containers in the dishwasher.

So we went online and purchased 2 sets of glass containers: one by Pyrex and the other by Anchor Hocking.  They have BPA safe lids.  They are not cheap, but much cheaper than chemotherapy.

The question remains as to how much harm we have already inflicted on our poor bodies before these wake-up calls.  One never knows answers to questions like this.

And then there is the issue of Jake’s homemade dog food, which is conveniently packaged in serving size Ziplock bags.  Is he more likely to die of old dog age than cancer brought about from heating his food in a plastic bag for 50 seconds?  I’m sure no one has an answer to that question either.  But I have been shamed into dumping it out onto a plate since I can’t very well microwave it in a metal food bowl.  Maybe a glass food bowl would make a nice Hanukkah gift?

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

I just don't know what to think of articles like that. I think there are so many carcinogens in our environment that what we get from plastic containers in our kitchen is probably negligible. But maybe I'm just being cynical!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something like that. Who said that anyway?

5:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Unfortunately we don't know what to believe these days. This is something I can easily do something about. And many of my current containers are decades old and really need to be retired!

Cyndy -- That was a Nietzsche quote, which figured heavily into a recent book I read "When Nietzsche Wept." I'm not convinced it applies to true carcinogens. I'm certainly not going to try it out with asbestos! But who really knows about plastic?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of damage we do to our bodies on a daily basis. The conveniences of life seem far less convenient the more we learn.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

good move - better to heed the warnings and not chance the dangers when there's an alternative. I love my Corning glass storage dishes!

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you switched. I used to use glass exclusively, but since my "partial" move I've gone back to using plastic for many purposes. I need to get my glass out of storage. Thanks for the kick in the b---! :-)

F.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home