Sunday, December 13, 2009

Food, Glorious Food!


 
What a surprise as I came out of my yoga class this morning to find an invitation to a cooking class at Hill’s Kitchen.  It was one of the more elaborate and expensive classes, one I had wanted to sign up for but hadn’t gotten around to it.  The class entitled “And God Bless Us Everyone:  A Dickensian Feast” was all about Christmas food of a time long past.  It was mine free of charge in payment for my teaching the dog food class.

I looked at my watch to find 10:45 with the class starting at 11:00.  Fortunately I was a block away.  So instead of hanging out at my friend Deborah’s house, I hurried off to class.

What an unexpected treat!  In the span of 2 hours (some things started ahead of time), we learned how to make a steam-roasted goose, gravy, oyster stuffing, boiled root vegetables with butter, Christmas pudding, and was’sail (mulled wine).  We got to sip the was’sail as we watched the feast materialize.

Ten minutes before the end of the class, we served our plates and sighed with the satisfaction that good food always brings.

Maybe I would have put a little more into all those lunges in my yoga class if I had known how many calories awaited me afterwards. 

I even managed to walk away with a piece of Christmas pudding for Deborah!

As a very encouraging side note, one of my dog food class students reported that after a week on the new food her dog has stopped scratching and shown just as dramatic a change as Jake did.  We’re thinking of doing it again in the spring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What a feast! Yum. Sounds like a great way to spend the day.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Anything you`d like to share? What was the Christmas pudding made of?

I will roast a goose this year, too. How did your steamed one taste?
Have you read Val`s last post? We are finally getting there! You and e are always part of it!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home