Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Smooth Legs and Hidden Underwear


As I started to shave my legs in the shower this morning, I asked myself why today?  Was it because I had an appointment with Emily, my personal trainer?  Was it because I had my yearly exam with my gyn, who at just about my age has a pony tail and wears clogs?  Or was it coincidentally because I hadn’t shaved in 3 weeks?  (I can always get by with this errant behavior because my hair is somewhere between blond and gray.)

So I will throw out a couple of questions to you in the style of LACochran, who has an endless stream of thought-provoking questions for her readers, whom she refers to as her “Cheeky Monkeys”:

Does a visit to someone who will have reason to see your legs prompt you to get out the razor?  Do you shave for a massage but not for the gym?  Do you for a minute think your gyn (or any doctor) even looks at your legs?

At a doctor’s visit where you have to disrobe and put on one of those grossly fitting gowns that never have ties in the right place, do you carefully hang your underwear underneath your other clothes, even though it’s the last to come off?  When in fact this doctor is seeing every bit of the layer beneath the underwear.

I would like to think I’m beyond the place where vanity enters into decisions like these.  But I’m not so sure.

How about you?

8 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

Have you been watching me?? Laughing.

4:23 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Thanks for the shout out, you cheeky monkey. :)

I shave every day because *I* don't like the look/feel of stubble or hair on me. It's just part of my daily routine. If, for some reason, I don't get a chance to do this, I feel all kinds of skeevy. My issue, I understand. I also feel that I owe the husband some level of grooming (and vice versa). So far, no complaints in this department.

Ha! Why, yes, when I disrobe at the gynecologist, I put my underwear underneath my clothes. Strange but true.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I admire women who don't shave their legs. Honestly, if I were a woman, I wouldn't shave 'em at all.

I don't care whether my doctor sees my underwear or not. (As long as it's clean!) Underwear is just another article of clothing, after all.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous jamy said...

Because I get to go to the dr. a lot these days, just for fun, I have had occasion to think about all of these things and notice my own behavior.

If it's a shaving time of year, then I'll try to shave before appointments, though I really don't think it matters. (I never shave every day.) Given that it's winter, I've stopped shaving and I don't bother.

I do always put my underthings underneath the other clothing. This is very silly, isn't it?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I shave every day. Absolutely *no* idea why. Habit, I guess. Kind of regretted it in the Dead Sea, though. Yowza. My legs were on fire.

I do tuck my underwear into a pocket or something, though.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

After years and years of waxing my hairy blonde legs, most of it is finally gone for good and what's still there is pretty soft and relatively invisible. So I've gotten really lax about, especially in the winter.

I am definitely an underwear hider. No one sees my underwear unless I want them to!!!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha...so glad we can count on you to get us thinking about these weighty matters!

I shave every few days. I'm not a very furry person, so can get away with that. But I like my skin to be smooth for my partner's sake, so sometimes do anticipatory/hopeful shaves...

I tuck my underwear away at the doctor's office, for sure.

F.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Ha! I had no idea so many people were underwear-hiders!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home