Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Hit and Run


The Volvo wagon is an old car -- 24 years old to be exact.  But does that give anyone the right to back into the driver-side door and leave the scene with no note?

This morning when I went out to meet a friend for coffee, I found a rather large dent in the door.  Fortunately it was in the center of the door and didn’t interfere with the hinge side or the handle. 

I wondered how that could have happened.  Phone calls to both children, who had driven the car during the past week, failed to turn up a confession or even a clue.  I quickly admitted that it could well have been someone backing out of the driveway across the street in front of our house.  But we will never know because the guilty party disappeared without a trace.

I really thought there was no functional damage until I rolled down the window to adjust the mirror, which was also cock-eyed.  The window barely made it back up to the top as I registered:  Note to self -- Don’t lower the window again for any purpose because it might not go back up.

Instead of bothering to look for the gray Rustoleum, I opted for clear nail polish.  This car’s body has been grossly scarred for a long time now, so we mainly go for functionality these days.  It runs like a champ despite looking like a dilapidated old jalopy. 



I love old cars, especially those that run well and never leave you stranded.

But please, if you ever hit my Volvo, be so kind as to at least leave me a note on the windshield!

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh, that's a drag! But at least it's an old car and not some new, flashy model.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

I respect anyone who understands that cars that run well aren't in need of replacement simply because they get older. Sorry your car took a smack; but hopefully karma will be waiting for that person sometime soon.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That's so rude. I sort of think old cars deserve as just much respect as new ones.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How rude! I feel so strongly about people letting others know when they've dinged somebody's car, that twice I've jotted down license #s of cars I saw doing this sort of ding-and-run, and left the info on the injured car's windshield. In one case I got a phone call from a very grateful driver.

F.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I had a van that I put 260K miles on... and it got a few bumps along the way. Once, when I was up in Canada (Saskatoon), a car really banged me a good one in a parking lot. Totally his fault, I was just parked. When I got out of the van and walked around to survey the damage, I honestly couldn't tell which one was the new dent. I told the driver that I didn't think there was anymore danage and we should just let it go... I thought that guy was gonna kiss me. Eh! No harm, no foul!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home