Sunday, December 20, 2009

Liquid Gold



As I sit  here reading “Eating Animals”, the house smells deliciously of roasted goose.  I haven’t quite lost my appetite for meat yet, but the book is working on my carnivore tendencies.

By the time the goose comes out of the oven, it will be just a shadow of its former self, having shed all that fat that geese are so famous for.

Goose schmaltz is a prized possession and I now have about 4 cups of it (from just one goose) to use (in small quantities) to flavor mashed potatoes and other foods.  Much of the fat comes out in the first stage of cooking, where the goose, having been sufficiently pricked, is steamed on the top of the stove in a pan with a tight-fitting lid.  But I never imagined there would be so much fat!

My husband (who now loves to chop after taking “Knife Skills”) and I prepped this morning for the rest of the meal, so the afternoon has been rather leisurely.  We will soon be throwing together braised kale, boiled root vegetables, and oyster dressing.  A pumpkin pie sits ready and waiting on the counter.  My crust confidence is building.

We’ll share dinner with our son and good neighborhood friends.  Meanwhile, there’s still lots of snow everywhere I look outside.  The official snow measurer and his trusty companion ventured out onto the deck this morning.


7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I've been vegetarian for more than 20 years, but I can still appreciate meat - the smell of it cooking, the fact that other people enjoy it. There's something to be said for a Christmas goose, even if you're celebrating Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or just time with friends.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

Your blog about prepping and cooking your goose was quite interesting, but you left out the final snow measurement. Please give us a report.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- He says 21". More snow than I've seen in a long time!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love seeing Jake in the snow! Happy dog!

F.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Hope that meal tasted as good as it sounded! And how I envy all that snow - we got a mere dusting. Happy holidays, Barbara!

6:45 AM  
Blogger karen said...

I'm fascinated by everybody's DC snow scenes! Can't believe Jake can find his Kong even in the snow!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

WOW! All that snow!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home