Saturday, December 19, 2009

Who said it never snows in DC?


The labs of the DC metro area are in ecstasy today as the snow falls.  Jake couldn’t be happier to go out and play.  



He even managed to find his Kong buried under a foot of snow.  Instead of peanut butter, it’s filled with melting snow.





My husband mentioned what a disaster it would have been if Zelda had died just one week later.  Perhaps neither of us would have made it to the funeral.

It’s so nice to sit inside with the fireplace on and watch the snow continue to come down and pile up.  I hope the electricity holds out.

I’m feeling better.  Maybe it was the excellent pea soup my kind-hearted neighbor brought over yesterday before it started snowing. She also brought me "The Art of Racing in the Rain," right in line with today's dog theme.

I’m making lots of dog food today, while I read my wonderful new gift book “Eating Animals” by the talented Jonathan Safran Foer.  I’m not sure I’m even going to want to be giving Jake meat in his diet after this book.

Tomorrow I’ll cook a goose and hope it didn’t suffer as it was killed.  Oysters will go in the dressing I’m making.  I wonder if it hurts when their shells are popped open.

All food for thought as the snow continues to fall and still has that pristine, undisturbed look to it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

It certainly wasn't me who said that. I'm excited that we are getting what may be the biggest December snowstorm DC has ever seen. It's a great day to look out the windows, isn't it?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great weekend to stay home and recover! I envy you that fire in the fireplace.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Both links are quite compelling. I have a great vegan cookbook: Veganomicon. Maybe I'll dust it off and get more serious about this. Thanks for the additional wake-up call!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear B,

This is so beautiful! Thanks for the wonderful photos; a real tonic to me today. Jake is adorable!

XO,

F.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

We were just saying today that it would be a perfect day to enjoy a fireplace. I wish we had one!

I'm interested in that Froer book. Let me know how you like it!

9:01 PM  
Blogger e said...

That was certainly a compelling comment by Anon. Glad you're feeling better. I would be interested in your vegan cookbook since it looks like my vegetarian diet isn't helping my lipids, which according to labs, are slightly elevated. My GP wants a low fat, low cholesterol diet...Apparently forgetting that I've been doing that very thing for over 20 years.

Your snow??? Wow...At least Jake is happy.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Our news said that Virginia was suffering from the worst snow storm in ages. I hope you are all safe and sheltered, Barbara!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I noticed when I raised my own meat - pork and chicken - I ate much less of it. One of my children is a vegetarian, another a vegan and they are both healthy and well fed. I'm trying to wean myself as well, using meat as a side dish until the portions are so small I don't notice their absence anymore.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Barbara, I was struck by the similarity between your first photo and the one on my friend Rayna's blog this morning. Rayna lives in New Jersey.
http://studio78notes.blogspot.com/2009/12/after-snow.html

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home