Thursday, December 31, 2009

Shopping anyone?



Today I rediscovered the joy of shopping.  After months of ordering the few things I needed over the Internet, I spent the morning in a real dressing room trying on clothes -- lots of them -- and being pampered by saleswomen who brought me things and cared whether I liked them or not.

Maybe it was the occasion of New Year’s Eve and two parties to go to on New Year’s Day and nothing with much pizazz in my aging wardrobe that inspired me to go shopping.  But whatever, I enlisted the help of my two best shopping partners and we headed off to Bethesda this morning to shop at Wear It Well, a tiny boutique on Bethesda Avenue. 

I realized that over the years, the things people have commented on most often, the things that I didn’t recycle after a couple of seasons, had all come from this little shop.  I hoped to find at least one new top or at least something I liked there today.

I knew we were off to a good start when my friend LR spotted a parking place opening up right in front of the store.  We fed the meter and got started.

I tried on several things that might have been nice for just the right occasion, but those kind of occasions are so infrequent in my life that I put them aside.

This was one of the few days when at least half of the things I tried on looked good on me and, even better, they fit together with each other.

So I ended up with a dressy black top, a more casual print top with a very cool belt, a long sweat-shirty material jacket, a belted faux fur vest, and two pairs of stretchy pants in black and gray. 

I love the way they wrap everything up in tissue paper sealed with a logo sticker.

I didn’t so much love writing the check, but it was the least I could do for myself after not shopping for well over a year.

I’m glad my shopping gene has come back to life because a new piece of clothing is often such a big ego boost!

11 Comments:

Anonymous lr said...

Our shopping was great fun even though I didn't find anything this trip. The clothes are beautiful and the fabrics felt wonderfully soft. Maybe next time for me, but you found very good looking clothes that will make you happy every time you put them on - well done, Barbara!

4:12 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I love it when I have something new to wear--I can't wait! Enjoy & happy new year

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That just sounds like fun. I'm glad you had a good day! Best wishes to you for a happy and well-heeled new year.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- You were our parking fairy godmother and our biggest cheerleader. Next shopping trip will be about YOU and we will make sure you come away with packages!

LA -- A new outfit is the best anti-depressant ever, yes? Especially one that looks good.

Kristin -- I'll take well-healed and well-heeled for 2010. Thanks!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, B! Sounds like you'll be ringing in the new one in style. Do we get to see the fun new clothes?

F.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

Can you model them for us, please? Enjoy them and te parties!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

oops typo - I meant THE parties.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon, Rayna -- I promise a pic tomorrow! I enjoyed wearing my chinchilla-like vest tonight because our friends' house is chilly. We had a great NYE with people we have know forever! Much too much food and drink. The gym beckons on Friday (that would be today)!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Shopping can be fun in the right store, but I confess I dislike it for the most part. I especially dislike trying on clothes. I just go in, buy what I want in my size and hope for the best!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

As my wife constantly points out to me, men are hunters and women are gatherers. Her explaination for why I go to the store to uy and she to shop.

Have a great new year!

10:25 AM  
Blogger almostakbl said...

صيانة مكيفات
شركة صيانة مكيفات
شركة صيانة مكيفات بالرياض
شركة صيانة مكيفات اسبليت
شركة صيانة مكيفات مركزي
تنظيف مكيفات
شركة تنظيف مكيفات
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات اسبليت
شركة تنظيف مكيفات مركزي

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home