Thursday, December 24, 2009

Running on Empty


I seem to be totally missing the spirit of the season.  Usually Hanukkah and Christmas overlap somewhat, but this year there’s a big space in between. 

I didn’t even do much in the way of Hanukkah celebration.  We lit the candles.  I made latkes on the first night.  And that was about it.  We long since abandoned the gift every day practice.

It’s not that I am in the least bothered by Christmas.  I find myself either singing along with the constant stream of carols or at some point reaching my saturation point and turning the radio off in the car.  I mainly avoid the malls and crowded stores that might arouse my ire.

I bought exactly 5 Christmas presents, all in the under $10 range.  They were things I liked for people I love.

I made exactly 2 cards and 2 gift tags.  So the card supplies barely came out of hiding.

I’m afraid my lack of enthusiasm may well represent an overall sag in emotions.  I need to figure out why this is happening.  Could it be my wanderlust which has been kept at home too long?  Could it be that I need something new and exciting to do in my life? 

I’m hoping the new year will answer these questions and give me a renewed sense of purpose and the energy to accomplish all that I set out to do.

For now I must be grateful for good health and friends and family that continue to come around in person and electronically, not paying much attention to the fact that sometimes I’m just not a lot of fun.

Happy holidays to those of you who have the spirit and equally to those of you who don’t!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

We all have bad days and down eyes and times without spirit, but I'm not giving up hope. Little things surprise me, make me smile, make me feel that the world might just be full of hope and joy and love.

I hope you find whatever it is that will give you back that spark.

3:49 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I think simplifying at holiday time is a good idea. I have been doing it a little more each year regarding both gifts and cards. The Great Recession has made this practice an even better idea for 2008 and 2009. This has reduced by stress level. Now I get to sit back and watch all the crazy people stampede through the malls at the last minute.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I agree with Media -- the simpler the better at holiday time! I also hope you feel like you get back your "oomph," but meanwhile don't sell yourself short. I think you're dealing the holidays in the perfect way!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Simple is better. Don't beat yourself up - it does no good (take it from one who knows). You should go out for Chinese and then take in that new Meryl Streep movie. That should cheer you up!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Normally during the holidays the things I love the most are the house decorating and creating my cards. Since I write letters with most of them, I need to start in November.

This year, due to a lot of things going on in my life, none of them much fun, I decided to abandon Christmas for the year--and praying I wasn't gambling in that this could be my last Christmas and I skipped it.

No trees, no gifts, and I said, "no cards," but then I found a slew of old holiday cards in the old lady's house that I'm working on,so in the last throes, I sat down and wrote out my usual holiday letters and wrapped old cards around them. That, and I built an Easter Island snowman head.

Someone gave me (don't laugh) powder packets of Glucosamine you put in your bottled water. I was thrilled to get it. It felt like starting my new year off in a healthy way...and better than fruitcake.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks, all! Already I am feeling more connected. I took Cyndy's advice and went out for Chinese on Christmas day. In keeping with Cube's cards, I've decided to answer all the cards (maybe 8 of them) I received with hand-written letters. I'm gradually getting that glass-half-full feeling back.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home