Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Jake as Vegetarian?


My husband, who knows how much I have been struggling with meat issues lately, sent me this article, which was a wake-up call of another kind.

I never dreamed that the dogs, who have become like family members for many of us, were having such a detrimental effect on the environment.  The carbon footprint of meat is the main problem.  This article claims that a medium size dog eats 360 pounds of meat and 200 pounds of cereal each year.  It takes 2 acres to raise that much food (not sure how they came to this conclusion.)

I’m already feeling somewhat better because in Jake’s case I know that I use only 2 pounds of meat in a week’s food.  But I do use significantly more rice (cereal).

In addition to the carbon footprint problem, dog feces are a significant source of pollution in rivers and streams.  Jake only poops in our back yard and there is no stream below us, so he’s off the hook on that count.

The article correctly emphasizes the positive emotional effect of owning a dog, a natural anti-depressant.  Most pet owners simply couldn’t envision a life without animals.  And for many of us, the advise to get a hen (which lays eggs) or a rabbit is not an acceptable solution.  I love the statement from an expert, “Rabbits are good, provided you eat them.”  I can’t imagine ever eating a family pet of any sort!

There are things we can do to at least mitigate this problem.  The first is to cut down on the meat intake of our dogs.  I can imagine that if people can get protein from other sources, so can animals.  We could possibly become a vegetarian household.

Those who walk their dogs in the woods can take care to scoop the poop instead of letting it become a pollutant.

At some point, humans may be forced to make difficult decisions about things like owning a pet as our environmental issues become more obvious.  I never realized how far-reaching this current passion of mine would turn out to be!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

So many considerations! You're probably one of the most conscientious eaters I know (and that includes the vegans and vegetarians).

4:51 PM  
Anonymous jamy said...

Here's a link that refutes that book's claims:

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2009/12/eating-liberally-are-pets-responsible-for-climate-change/#comments

So it's all good! :)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Thanks! I'm obviously still sorting this one out.

Jamy -- Thanks for the link. I want to buy the dog food book when it comes out.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Lots to think about.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Not to diminish your concerns about feeding dogs, but I really think sometimes we get tangled up in small issues like this and fail to address the big ones. Specifically, overpopulation! If people would just stop having so many freakin' children, particularly in the developing world, all these smaller issues would vanish. We MUST address the serious deficiencies and blind spots (willful and not) in our family planning efforts worldwide.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home