Friday, December 25, 2009

And the Greatest Gift of All


Is friendship.  It is one of the few things that is free to give, but worth its weight in gold.

I’m reminded of this as we head out to have Christmas dinner with my good friend Deborah and her family.  We will add oyster dressing and a pumpkin pie to her menu.  We will enjoy the after-dinner games that have become a tradition in her household.  We will give Deborah mulling spices and her husband a container of apple cider.

Just as I seem to be losing my enthusiasm for Blogging, I made two new friends in the Blogosphere this week.  Rayna (sounds an awful lot like the name of another friend I once had) came by way of exceptionally talented Terry, who saw the above photo which looked just like one I had posted.  She and I have been e-mailing all week long, continuing to discover things we have in common.  Thanks to Rayna, who is a published author in the field of fiber arts, I have the names of several artists in this area who give classes that I might enjoy.

My second new Blog friend is Mary Tabor, another published author, who has taken an apartment in Paris, my favorite city in the whole world.  When she said, “I would love to meet you,” my mind quickly flitted with a trip to Paris.

And of course there are my neighborhood friends who are always there when I need them, my Blog friends who continue to visit periodically and leave wise comments no matter what I write, and my family who are the most permanent of friends.

So today I am putting a big red bow on friendship and feeling lucky to have all these people in my life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

I was happy to facilitate the connection to Rayna for you! The internet is an amazing place and defines a whole new category of friendship. I have "known" Rayna, through fiberart online discussion groups for probably more than 15 years and finally met her face to face a little over a year ago. It was like getting together with an old friend. It makes the world so much smaller and so much more accessible and isn't that a miraculous thing?

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we have your blogging to thank for our connection, B! One never knows where or how the seeds one casts will bear fruit. I'm grateful for our friendship. Hope you're having a lovely time at Deborah's. Sending much holiday love your way...

F.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Friendship is definitely a beautiful gift, one for which I am eternally grateful.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

No one has time for friendship. I value what I have. One thing I did do this fall was go over my usual Christmas-Hannukah card list and weeded out a ton. You don't reach out to me? Off the list. I don't have the energy to keep it floating anymore, and when it gets that one-sided, it is a drain.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mary L. Tabor said...

First, isn't Barbara lovely? I put this website on Twitter and used bit.ly so I KNOW she got 10 new hits yesterday. So, Barbara, don't stop blogging and I wanna talk with the person who began that virtual book club that also fascinates me.

And I would love to find someone who might come downtown and give me some private art lessons. Please write to me if you know of anyone. For example, Rayna, do you travel? I have no car and am one of those odd birds who hates group classes for something like this: would get all clutched.

Ah, the internet: used to scare me; now it seduces me!

Barbara, you write beautifully, from the heart.

So wonderful to have found you.

Mary

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home