Friday, January 01, 2010

All About Core


As we say goodbye to what will probably be the last “aughts” in our lifetime and welcome in 2010, it’s once again time to make those resolutions that often are just that.  There are so many options.

I could resolve never to fall again.  I could resolve to carry through with my experiment in vegetarianism.  I could resolve to figure out how to earn some money.  I could resolve to swallow my vanity and let my hair be its natural color.

But instead I am resolving to get serious about strengthening my abs.  I have spent a lifetime not being well acquainted with my stomach muscles,  inventing excuses not to do sit-ups.  It’s actually become a point of embarrassment when my trainer Emily asks if I can feel a particular exercise in my abs and I have to honestly answer NO. 

I got off to a good start today, spending well over an hour at the gym.  My workout pales in comparison to that of my good friend KC, who thinks nothing of spending 50 minutes on the elliptical machine.  But I did get through the entire workout Emily and I agreed on in my last session.  I’m not crazy about doing it, but I can say with conviction that I feel great walking out of the gym afterwards.  I am calmer and think my whole body feels better as a result of that effort.

So I am giving my abs fair warning that it’s time to surrender.  We need to work together to make this happen.  It’s an investment in our collective future.

It was good news to read in LACocran’s recent post that big hips are in for 2010.  Hopefully tight abs are in also.

Some of you asked for a pic of my new clothes.  The photo above was taken earlier today before we went to a posh open house at my friend Betty’s Georgetown penthouse, always a delicious experience.  Many people came up to pet my new vest, which is simply irresistible.

11 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Good luck with the abs thing.

11:54 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

you look great Barbara, love the new clothes

and i love the way exercise makes me feel too - good luck with that resolution

6:46 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

new clothes, new abs - looks like your new year is off to a good start :)

6:52 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Very cool threads Babs. Love the look.
Exercise- Blah! But I resolve to submit to that torture as well this year. :-(

10:31 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

You look very hip. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. You look good. Very mod!)

Congrats on doing the gym thing! Go Barbara!

If you're looking for a good at home alternative for ab work, I recommend the Firm: Firm Parts--5 Day Abs. It's five very short ab routines (anywhere from 6 to 9 minutes, if I remember correctly.) Short and effective.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement on my new resolve. I don't have a very good track record with these things, but seeing Emily on a regular basis really helps me stay motivated. I will definitely check out the 6-9 minute ab routine. I can stand that much torture on a regular basis!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of such a specific, achievable resolve. I'm confident you'll make good progress, knowing you, Barbara!

F.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

Abs? What are those? I can't find mine - but you look great, complaints notwithstanding. I'll give myself a two week start in Fla with walking every morning and then see if I can continue SOME cardio when I get home. Bleh.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

The clothes look great!

I do 40 situps a day, unless I don't feel like it, which happens every other day or so. :)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Core work is such a chore but a strong core will serve you in ways you can't even begin to imagine. I hope you keep up the good work you started here.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Well, you look great! And I admire the abs resolution. I should probably borrow that and work on my own. I'm just being nicer to people.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home