Monday, January 04, 2010

The Tools of a Lifetime


I think I’m getting addicted to cleaning out places that have been collecting dust and things for a long time.  Today’s efforts included the workroom in our basement.

As I swept and vacuumed and threw out things, I remembered using many of these tools for various projects mostly outside.  

I remembered planting what seemed like hundreds of bulbs and waiting until Spring to see the results of my efforts.  A few of those bulbs probably still come up every year.



I remember losing the pruning shears in the underbrush in our back yard, only to find them a couple of years later, not much worse for being outside all that time.



I remembered shoveling mammoth snows and raking bags and bags of leaves.

But then I suddenly realized that we don’t do those things any longer it would seem.  We pay someone to take care of our yard.  We pay people to shovel our snow on the few occasions when it accumulates. 

I wondered why I was cleaning up all these old tools that we no longer need.

Who knows?  Maybe I’ll plant bulbs again one day.  But I wouldn’t place any bets on the rest of those old tools.  I’m not quite ready to give them away or throw them out, so they will just sit there collecting some more dust for now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

shoot - if I lived next door you could donate them to my cause lol

don't throw them out - there must be a place to donate them

7:30 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

We still do all these things, and enjoy them!! Yesterday it snowed so much that I shovelled our walk three times. It felt so good! And I always dig my vegetable garden and my husband mows the lawn and trims the trees and bushes. Wonderful work! Don`t let others do it!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!

3:16 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Tools are funny things, because we don't use them often, but when we need them we really need them! I'd keep them just in case you no longer want or need to pay someone to maintain the yard.

6:21 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Enough about tools-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARBARA!!!!!!!

Have a great, great day!
Miss you.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Mary L. Tabor said...

I recall having to give away all these tools, but the memory of the plantings, especially the bulbs, still remains and so the heart recalls...

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel wistful and a bit melancholy while sorting through the tools of a craft I no longer practice (beading, piano tuning, short-story writing, e.g.). It's a bit like looking through the personal effects of someone who has passed away; and someone has -- an earlier version of me...

F.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You've been so motivated with the cleaning and organizing - it sounds like you're making way for something new in your life. You need to get rid of the old to make room for the new and cleaning up tool fits right in.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home