Thursday, January 21, 2010

A New Season of an Old Favorite


The new season of the only TV show I watch has officially started.  This year “24” is in New York City and it is better than ever.

We watched the first of 4 marathon hours while in Chicago.  We were unsure how our gracious hosts could possibly turn the TV off and go to bed, but not wanting to appear to be 24 addicts we too quit after the first hour.

My husband had recorded every thrilling minute, so this afternoon my friend KC and I sat down to watch hours 2, 3, and 4 -- back to back.  During that time we saw 3 people get killed and one person get his hand sawed off with a power saw.  And we saw Jack almost get beat to death my one of NYPD’s finest.

But we also saw the bad guys get foiled in their attempt to assassinate the leader of what seems like an Iran-like country.  Along the way we learned that he was having an affair with a blond American reporter. 

We cheered as Jack’s old heartthrob Renee rejoined the show.  Although she seems to have been through a lot, including a nervous breakdown and a suicide attempt.  She now seems to be willing to throw caution to the wind as she does things like sawing off the Russian mobster’s hand.

By the end of hour 4, we both felt like we had ridden a roller coaster for about 2 hours without taking a break.  You know that feeling of standing up and being a little wobbly?  That’s what 3 hours  of “24” will do for you.

I can never understand why a show this popular chooses to complete its season in just 16 weeks.  On the other hand, the premise of covering the 24 hours of a very exciting day doesn’t lend itself to more than 24 episodes.

I have rededicated myself to Jack Bauer and I trust that he will keep the world safe once again in 2010, as he personally has multiple near-death experiences, all in the space of 24 hours.

“24” makes Homeland Security seem like a lame attempt to deal with terrorism!

3 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Woo hoo, 24 is back!! I watched it the same way, in one sitting.

Gotta love Jack Bauer.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I don't watch the show but I'm tempted by your enthusiasm. You really sell it!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Can you believe I've never seen this show?? I guess I better catch up on it, though, because everyone raves about it so much.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home