Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Inventory Control


I almost cringe when someone hands me a book and says I should read it.  How can I possibly add another good book to the ever-growing pile?  But how can I not?  The same thing applies to the tea leaves in my kitchen cabinet.

I’m on a kick to read faster than the pile grows.  There are some excellent reads in this stack, so with a few minutes a day devoted to reading, it shouldn’t be hard to catch up.  That’s what I tell myself, but it doesn’t seem to happen.  A lot of these books deal with food and music, two of my favorite topics.  I’ve started many of them, to put them aside as I pick up something else.  Especially after I finish the monthly book club read, I’m determined to get this pile down to something more manageable.



The same goes with my stash of tea.  Instead of forays to Marshall’s to buy bargain gourmet tea, I’m resolved to drink up what I have.  There’s probably several months of quite drinkable tea on this shelf.  When it’s gone, then I can once again frequent the bargain aisle at Marshall’s.

Does anyone else have this problem of accumulation and a desire to whittle it down?

9 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

Oh yes, the tea thing is out of control here. My problem is that I see teas that look good. I try one or two bags, then I go back to my old favorites. I really need summer to come. That's a good time to use up teas for pitchers of ice tea. I throw in a mix of teas that sound compatible. We never have the same ice tea twice!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES. The only tangible things I really "collect" anymore are books, music, and information. I try to get rid of one thing for every new one that comes in, but I usually don't follow through. The extended household move I'm in the middle of doing gives me a great opportunity to shed belongings. It's been very instructive (and liberating) to see how little I really "need."

F.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

I will confess -- I read very, very, very slowly. In fact, I often re-read passages in a book twice or even three times if I like it.

I have never been a fast reader. Some things are enjoyed slowly. At least that is what I tell myself. But I seem to drink in all the author has to offer and savor every paragraph.

I was listening to a radio show the other night and a woman mentioned how she had read a New York Times best seller on the plane from Atlanta to Miami.

I was astounded that anyone could read a book that fast. But I know a lot of people do read fast.

Some things are just better if you take your time. And for me, reading is one of them.

Take care and enjoy those books!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Tea and books, yes! Both piling up with me, too. But often when I get either books or tea they are the taste of those who gave them to me and I find it hard to "swallow" them, but out of politeness I hate to throw them out. Difficult, some gifts.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I may not be thin or rich but I have lots of tea on hand and LOTS Of books. You can never be too well read or have too much tea ;)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It's so funny...my instinct is always to use something up before I buy more. But my family members and Dave aren't nearly as stringent about that. They like to stack up the canned goods, the books, etc. Just a basic personality thing, I guess!

7:25 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I feel terrible pressure when someone recommends a book to me. I'm so finicky about the three books a year I read.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

My husband is a tea collector. He buys a lot more than he drinks. How long does tea last anyway? I want to get rid of everything we don't need before we move. That's how naive I am!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Absolutely. I have two shelves of unread books and other than book club needs, I'm not buying (or borrowing) any more. Actually, I'm not buying anything except food and maybe a new pair of sneakers during this Lenten season and it's made me realize how much stuff I have and how little I actually need. It's embarrassing.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home