Thursday, May 13, 2010

Swearing off coffee... again


I’ve started to see patterns in my allergies, patterns in my caffeine dependency, lots of patterns.  This week I have once again sworn off coffee as it seems I have for the past few years at about the same time.  Go figure!
I really love a good cup of coffee.  A latte is even better.  And I can easily get into a dependency loop of needing that strong shot of caffeine at just about the same time every day.
A friend theorizes there is a cumulative effect of caffeine that eventually catches up with you.  Well, mine caught up with me on Monday and by Tuesday I was a zombie with a pounding headache and no energy as I detoxed.  And I had taken on an uncharacteristic meanness, directed toward my poor husband.
I look back and wonder what put me over the top.  I’m usually fine with Starbucks coffee.  But while my daughter and her boyfriend were home I had taken to drinking a Kona blend (purchased at Marshall’s for $6.99 -- that’s probably a tip-off).  I wonder if it was roasted and processed a different way or if the different beans were the culprits.
I’m still giving myself a choice of green tea, white ginger peach tea, and ayurvedic detoxing tea.  I don’t get the same instant gratification as from a sudden burst of caffeine, but I’m off the caffeine roller coaster and it feels so good.  My energy is much more constant.  And I’m a lot nicer.
Maybe I should just let the coffee go forever.  I always seems to forget this experience as I pass a familiar Starbucks and the cycle eventually begins again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear -- caffeine! My drug of choice (and only drug). I sympathize with you as you withdraw. Caffeine is indeed a drug; and as with most drugs, our sensitivity to it decreases over time, requiring stronger doses to achieve the same effects (or to even feel "normal"). So if you stop cold turkey: wham!

Hoping you feel better soon and enjoy your even-keeled journey through your days...

F.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm a three-cup-a-day coffee guy, and I really DO enjoy it. But I've toyed with the idea of giving it up as well, so I can appreciate your struggle! Sometimes I do feel a little rattled, though usually it doesn't seem to faze me.

9:08 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I recently read an interesting article on the amounts of caffeine in different foods and drinks. The article indicated that less than 100 milligrams per day is a good health threshold.
Starbucks Grande Coffee: 330 milligrams / 16 ounces
Plain drip coffee: 190 milligrams / 16 ounces
Tea: 94 milligrams / 16 ounces
Cola: 42 milligrams / 16 ounces
Chocolate cake: 50 milligrams / 16 ounces (that's a lot of cake!)
Dark chocolate bar: 21 milligrams per 1.5 ounce
Milk Chocolate bar: 9 milligrams per 1.5 ounce
Decaf coffee: 4 milligrams / 16 ounces

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

There's something to be said for knowing your own body and understanding the impact of the things you put into it.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home