Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Money Back



I can remember when I was young and single and making very little money waiting for my tax return as though it was an end-of-the-year bonus.  I suddenly felt rich when that modest little check rolled in.
But somewhere along the way we started owing money on our taxes and never getting one of those refund checks in the mail.  Today it’s more of a question of whether we can scrape together enough cash to pay off the IRS.
Well, surprise, surprise!  Yesterday we got a check in the mail from the US Treasury for a whopping $1.05.  It says “Tax Refund” right above the amount, so I guess we slightly overpaid.  
But I am somewhat incredulous that they bothered to print a check for that amount, especially since it cost almost half the amount in postage to send it.
I’m sitting here figuring out how to live it up as I spend our refund.  I can’t buy a Starbucks coffee of any size.  I can’t buy a gallon of gas.  I can’t buy much of anything.  I suppose I could buy 5 bananas at Trader Joe’s.  
I hope you are enjoying a real spendable refund!  I also hope the IRS has better things to do than bothering to send out checks for such paltry amounts.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you seem like a smart woman and I have enjoyed your entries for some time. I am very surprised that you would post your address like this. while I'm sure you have a loyal following, there are "lurkers" out there who are up to no good.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

By Blogging under my real name and revealing that I live in the DC metro area, I have allowed anyone with a brain to find my address in about 10 seconds. If someone is coming after me for $1.05, I will gladly give it up!

Anywho is a great resource for finding addresses!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Barbara, you are correct that anyone can pretty much find anyone these days. I wouldn't sweat it.

As for the buck, oh five, you would think that they would set a minimum refund to be paid by check.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

So much better to get a $1.05 back than to owe it!

Regarding the address, I wonder if Mr. or Ms. Anonymous can say "phone book" or "Switchboard" or a variety of other places where our names and addresses can be found??! Heh!

Just for the record Mr. or Ms. Anonymous, come on! Quit hiding behind your Anonymous label, have a little bit of backbone and be a man or woman! I have NO respect for people who post under anonymous - none.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, at least you got a refund for $1.05, and not a bill! :-)

F.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Russell -- From my statcounter, I'm fairly sure I know who the first Anon is. I'm not sure why she chose to comment that way, probably because she had something negative to say. My other regular commenter Anon F is a good friend and I totally understand her intentions for remaining anonymous. I've never been so bothered by anonymous commenters because more often than not I can figure out who they are.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh-out-loud. Don't spend it all in one place.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, russell, I can tell I hit a nerve with you! I was not trying to disrespect or be negative to barbara in any way, just making an observation based on events that have recently happened in the news. defensive much, sheesh!

for the record, I did not post as anonymous on purpose. for some reason with blogger I only get the choices of openid and anonymous. this has been happening for the past six weeks or so, and not just on this site. I have contacted blogger twice already without a resolution.

sincerely,
ashley smith
ashley.salmon.smith at gmail dot com

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home