Thursday, May 27, 2010

Clothes Shopping


I hadn’t bought any new clothes in a while, so I went shopping with my daughter today at her favorite store:  Loehmann’s.  It’s changed a lot from the first time I shopped there.
Loehmann’s was the first place I ever shopped at where everyone tried on clothes in a communal room.  It was no frills and no privacy.  There was always the limit of 8 things you could try on at any one time.
Today’s Loehmann’s now has private changing rooms in addition to the open space with the mirrors on the walls.  I’m surprised they would give up the real estate to build walls and doors.
As I approached the changing area today, I knew I had well over the limit of 8 items.  I was preparing to hang the rest outside and switch at some time.  But instead the woman giving out numbers opened a room for me and let me take everything in at once.  Maybe when you exceed 60, you are no longer suspected of shoplifting.
Out of about 15 items, I found 4 that were real bargains and fit reasonably well.  In fact I was more successful than my daughter, who lamented the fact that even the expensive jeans didn’t fit to her satisfaction.
While we were shopping, they kept broadcasting a message about an offer of 3 magazines you could get free for a trial period.  Sure enough when I checked out, they offered me the free magazines, which I quickly declined, mentioning to my daughter that I doubted anyone would go for them.  I had no sooner said that than I overheard an Asian woman signing up.
So I can no longer say I never find anything at Loehmann’s.  I really didn’t need any new clothes, but it was fun to go shopping and buy some.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I haven't shopped at Loehmann's since the days of the communal dressing room. Who knew?! I could probably use some new clothes, ones that fit/aren't falling off, but I'm not sure I care enough to buy any. :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That communal dressing room sounds like a terrible idea. And I never understood why taking fewer items into the dressing room is safer for the retailer. I mean, I can see that there are then fewer items to steal, but it seems if you took 12 or 15 items in you couldn't spirit them out of the store successfully anyway. How many things could a person stuff into a bag, after all?

8:28 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Reminds me a bit of when I went to Filene's Basement in Boston back in the 80s. Women were trying on clothes and changing in the aisles! No privacy rooms; no communal dressing area -- just taking off their clothes and trying on clothes in the aisles!

All I could think was "I'm not in Iowa any more!"

Enjoyed your post a couple days ago about relationships. Very thought provoking.

I guess if we can just be ourselves and not let other people's actions or words concern us too much, that is good.

It is not easy to let things go, but it is good to try. People who are mean and thoughtless are also selfish and many times just ignorant.

I try to feel sorry for the person instead of getting angry with them -- but, again, that is easy to say but hard to do.

Take care.

12:12 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Loehmann's is under new ownership and the last time I was amazed at the change in offerings. Not a happy thing for me. I won't be going back.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home