Saturday, May 29, 2010

Have Truck, Will Travel


You know your kid is a grown-up when she heads up I-95 to NYC by herself in a 14-ft U-Haul truck.  I’m convinced she could do just about anything she set her mind to.
The main reason for the truck was to transport our 10-year-old family room furniture which was scheduled to go somewhere in about a month when our new furniture moves in.  She and her boyfriend are happy for any contributions to furnishing their respective new living spaces.  As it turned out, she could have easily fit everything in a much smaller truck, but it was too late to swap out.
We managed to get along remarkably well during her recent stay.  She pitches right in to help with household chores and cooking.  I loved having someone to go shopping and go to the gym with.  She cares a lot about exercise and is in remarkably good shape.
I thought we were going down a slippery slope this morning when I questioned something she had left behind in her old room and we had a brief discussion of the fact that it’s now a multi-purpose room when she isn’t home.  Fortunately we recovered fairly quickly and didn’t allow our shared stubbornness to take over.  My son couldn’t bear to listen, let alone take sides.
I’m hoping for a call any minute now telling me she has arrived in NJ, where her boyfriend is sharing a house with 3 other med students.  It was a slightly longer trip since she couldn’t drive on any parkway with the truck, but 5 hours should be about right.
Jake has had a busy couple of weeks with children coming and going.  He brushed up on his fetching and catching skills and was always very tired by evening.  
The house will be a lot quieter as we resume our usual schedules and it’s just the 3 of us once again.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. This is a big milestone for all of you. You and D have done a swell job of parenting, and your daughter has done a fine job of growing up.

F.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Having spent excessive amounts of time with both a U-Haul (today) and family en casa (since Easter), I definitely appreciate this post and wish the best to you and yours.

I'm going to miss my brother when he leaves.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Even though I've declared her a grown-up, I was very glad to hear my daughter had arrived safely in NJ after her 5-hour trip in the truck.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Sounds like your and your daughter have found ways to communicate despite, as you say, your mutual stubbornness. That's a good thing.

I don't think you ever stop wanting to know your children are safe, no matter how grown up they are. My 42 year old and long-gone-from-home son still calls me when he's returned safely from a journey and each of my children request that I do the same for them when I'm traveling. It's a nice feeling to know we all care what happens to the other.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Barbara, on an unrelated note, I wanted to share with you (as you had posted on this a while back) that my amaryllis has started to grow again. I didn't do a thing but there it is. I thought of you.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I imagine we will continue to check in with each other. It's nice to have a reason to call!

Gary -- Growing an amaryllis is definitely a lesson in patience. Mine continues to bloom prolifically. I'm so glad I didn't throw it out when it was dormant. What color is yours? Mine is an orangeish-red.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Mine is an orangeish-red too. I love that it comes back and I don't really have to do a thing.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

I think it is wonderful that your daughter is studying to become an N.P. We desperately need more nurses. You must be very proud of her.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home