Monday, May 03, 2010

Inside Plants


I could talk about the ache at the bottom of my stomach over the crude oil that is moving toward the world’s most beautiful beaches -- in Panama City, where I grew up.  But the whole mess in the Gulf is just too painful to talk about.

I could talk about my now monthly visit to see Bill the rolfer.

I could talk about tonight’s yoga class that focused on finding joy in our lives. 

But instead I’ll just show you two beautiful but very different plants that both make me happy when I look at them.

The (above) amaryllis that my friend Susanne gave me after I broke my hip has finally bloomed once again with more blooms on the way.  This plant is a study in patience putting a full 15 months between blossoms.  At least I know now when the blooms fall off not to even consider chucking it in the garbage can.  All its red loveliness is well worth the wait.



Today I bought a pot of cacti and succulents to sit on my computer table in what used to be “the pink room” and is now “the blue room.”  These plants simply blow my mind in their ability to survive with virtually no care.  I can’t wait to see them change over time as they exert their tenacity.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rayna said...

Nice plants. I'm probably the only person on earth whose cacti died from neglect. Go figure: Ms. Black Thumb

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cacti go beautifully with that wall! I'm glad you've brought new life into your room along with the new color. Very enlivening for both spirit and creativity!

We're on a plant wavelength together; yesterday after two successive weekends of garden tours, my partner and I bought three native plants for our garden-to-be (a poppy, a sedum, and an iris).

F.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I could have sent you some.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I want to know more about the rolfer!!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

We had two amaryllis (amarylli?) and I'm ashamed to say we threw them out when they stopped blooming. I had no idea they would come out again. What do you do with them in between blooms? Do they die back to the ground, do you store the bulbs, or do you just leave them in the pot and water them as usual?

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home