Monday, May 31, 2010

Lunch with a Flush Warning


We decided to go to lunch in Old Town today.  Our first thought was Restaurant Eve.  We tried to no avail to find out if they were open and whether their Lickity Split lunch special was in effect since this was a holiday.
We arrived only to find the place dark and very closed.  It might have been nice if they had posted the closure on their website or on their answering machine.
Next choice, Majestic Cafe.  Probably closed too since it’s owned by the same people who own Restaurant Eve.  And it was.
Hank’s Oyster Bar.  Always closed on Mondays.
By this time I was really hungry.
Bilbo Baggins.  An old favorite, although not so many stars in the reviews these days.
But just then my husband noticed Momo Sushi & Cafe on his iPhone, which had more stars and turned out to be right next to Bilbo Baggins AND was open with no wait.
We were hungrier than ever by this time, so of course we ordered too much.  We got the chicken teriyaki lunch special, which for $8 came with miso soup, salad, a plate of teriyaki with vegetables, and rice.  We also got two maki rolls:  spicy tuna with seaweed salad and a combo containing eel, salmon skin, crab, and some other things I can’t remember.  I couldn’t pass up freshly grated wasabi.  We had green tea ice cream for dessert.  It was all excellent, and not just because we were starving.
I did have to laugh at a sign in the bathroom that read:  
Please DO NOT flush toilet paper or anything else down the toilet.  Before I could process what that said, I had thrown my TP in the toilet.  I held my breath as I flushed and it looked like it did what most toilets do.  Go figure...

4 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

Lunch sounds good! Looking forward to trying Momo.

On the other hand, I hate having to do something unnatural with my TP!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The best laid plans... I'm glad you found someplace open with excellent food, even if it did come with a flush warning.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

In Europe and other places overseas they're very paranoid about flushing toilet paper -- I think it's because their toilets are designed differently with less standing water in the bowl, and they don't handle paper as well. I see signs like that in restaurants that are owned or operated by people from other countries. They're not used to our superduper American plumbing. :)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

maybe they meant WHOLE ROLLS of toilet paper...

goodness, the things people do in bathrooms!!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home