Saturday, May 08, 2010

Ironing Shirts



As our daughter and her boyfriend were getting ready to go to a rather formal garden party tonight, she was overheard asking him if he wanted her to iron his shirt.  My husband quickly advised him to take her up on it.
I instantly had several reactions.  My first was to wonder who in the world had taught her how to iron men’s shirts, because I had never done it.  In fact I’m not sure I ever taught her how to iron anything.  The second was a pang of guilt that I had rarely ironed a shirt for my husband since part of our laundry arrangement from the beginning was that he took care of his clothes and I took care of mine.
I never remember him sending his shirts to the cleaners.  Instead he bought permanent press and then those shirts that need no ironing EVER.  They are good, but not quite as nice as a lightly starched and ironed shirt.
You can see from the picture that she did an admirable job with his blue shirt.  They seem to have an easy give and take about everything, from making oatmeal together to ironing shirts.  There’s a lot of respect between them.
And this is after driving across country and camping together for the 10 days before arriving here.  That seems like a pretty good sign.
I can’t say that I know anyone who irons her SO’s shirts on a regular basis.  Do you?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a word, no, I don't know of anyone who irons his/her SO's shirts on a regular basis! That's sweet. And you can let go of that guilt, B!

Funny coincidence re the topic; I just broke out the iron today for the first time since moving in w/my partner a year and a half ago (to iron a vintage dress for a photo shoot). His iron, his ironing board. :-) Go figure.

I'm rejoicing with you over the warm and encouraging dynamic between your daughter and her BF. Much happiness to them!

F.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I assure you that no one in my house irons shirts (mine anyway).

When I actually cared about neat, crisp shirts, I sent them to the cleaners.

2:16 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

My mother taught me how to iron a man's shirt, very deliberately. I can hear her even now saying "You're going to need to know how to do this when you're married!" I dutifully watched and learned, but Joe irons his own shirts and I iron my stuff -- of course, I don't buy stuff that wrinkles!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

My son-in-law irons my daughter`s blouses because he can do it really well. But she is also a very good old-fashioned housewife (although a judge by profession). I do iron my husband`s shirts and he does the tax declaration.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

One of my friends irons everything for her husband; though, when he and I travel together, he's on his own! I do iron for others, though, and ironed shirts for all the men in our house at a wedding last summer as the girls were getting ready (and I was already done).

6:37 PM  
Blogger dennis said...

Dennis goes to the dry cleaners where Jane the steamstress works. Everything is taken care of there.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bozoette -- My mother taught me how to iron shirts too. I can still remember: collar, yoke, sleeves, front, back. I've always done my own this way, but never bothered to pass this info along to anyone else in my family.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home