Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Glorious Greens


On the opening day of the new CSA year, I always feel like I’ve hit the mother load of greens.  It’s just so much beautiful non-pesticide-tainted food!
We could have one helluva big salad tonight or I could make pesto or I could figure out what to do with mizuna or Hakurai turnips.  Too many choices!
Today our share consisted of:
Biodynamic produce from Kimberton CSA :
lettuce
bok choi
escarole
chard
mizuna
arugula
Hakurai turnips
radishes
kale
mustard greens
basil

Organic Supplements from Spiritual Food:
2 lb broccoli, organic
1 bunch scallions, org
and also, a surprise since they normally are not available in summer:
1/2 doz biodynamic eggs!




But meanwhile I’m trying to figure out what in the world these two things are.  They may well be weeds.  But they look far too interesting not to be edible.  Any ideas?

6 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I don't recognize that plant in the bottom photo but after reading the article about the number of servings of pesticides in the "dirty dozen" I'm going completely organic or going without.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wood said...

Those look somewhat like onion flower buds. Other than that, I've no idea.
-kevin

10:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- You grow most of your own produce, don't you?

Kevin -- That might make sense for the mystery vegetables. Maybe onions were in the next row to what they were harvesting.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Barbara - I grow vegetables and have planted some fruits but don't have the land to raise all I would need to be self-sustaining. The farmers, who own my cottage and have lent me a patch for a vegetable garden, and I will work out ways to increase our vegetable output and add more open space for berries and fruit trees. We also have a couple of all-organic farms in town where I can purchase shares in return for work :)

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The things in the bottom photo are garlic scapes. Not sure what to do with them-try googling garlic scapes?

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderfully green bit of summer in your kitchen.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home