Sunday, June 06, 2010

Spinach Popeye Would Endorse


I have been working to creatively use up all the fresh greens we got in our CSA bag on Wednesday.  In trying to find a way to jazz up spinach, I came across this recipe, which is easy, quick, and delicious.  (I would have provided a picture, but it was all gone before I thought about it.)
Fresh Spinach with Garlicky Yogurt Sauce
Yield:  4-6 servings
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1-1/2 pounds fresh spinach leaves
1-1/2 tablespoons uncooked white rice
2 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preparation
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add tomato paste; stir 1 minute.  Add pepper and 1/3 of spinach.  Cook until spinach wilts, adding remaining spinach in 2 additions and tossing often, about 4 minutes.  Mix in rice.  Cover and simmer until rice is tender and moisture from spinach is absorbed.  Uncover and continue to cook another 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat butter and remaining tablespoon of olive oil together.  Press garlic cloves into small bowl.  Stir in yogurt, cayenne pepper, and butter-oil mixture.
Serve spinach topped with yogurt sauce.
If you like spinach as much as I do, you will love this recipe.

(FYI -- This is my 2,000th post!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Congratulations on your 2000th post! That's a lot of blogging.

I love spinach so much that has never occured to me to jazz it up, but that recipe does sound tempting.

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the milestone!

I love greens so much I sometimes order a meal made of just "sides" at restaurants...

F.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm going to try it! Congrats on the 2000th post!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home