Friday, July 02, 2010

Running from the Law


I just had a close call that should have socked me with an expensive ticket.  To make matters worse the cause was clearly the fact that I was talking on the phone while driving.  
I was heading home from downtown DC with a great new hair cut when I decided to multi-task and return a friend’s phone call.  As I concluded the conversation, I suddenly noticed a police car parked on the shoulder and dutifully started to slow down.  Then I realized I was in the car pool lanes and it was RUSH HOUR!  I was clearly the only occupant of the old Volvo, which tends to call attention to itself anyway with its duck-taped trim.
HOLY SHIT I said to myself as I drove past the cop, looking in my rear view mirror for the ominous red flashing light.  But no such light appeared and the Shirlington Exit did, so I quickly exited and took a deep breath.
I am always so careful to respect those HOV rules, never having chosen to break the law or accidentally gotten into the restricted lanes before.  And to be honest, I had no recollection whatsoever about getting on today.
Which proves your mind is only minimally on the road when you are on your phone.  Maybe this will be enough of a wake-up call to put a stop to my nasty habit of talking while driving.  The next time I may not be so lucky as to duck the $500 ticket.
I do wonder why that cop didn’t get me, but I’m glad I escaped.

10 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I just had this horrible thought that maybe he photographed my license plate. But I really think they have to stop you to prove you have fewer than the required number of occupants. At least I hope so!

My guess is the cops work in tandem and he called ahead to the next guy to nab me, but I ducked out before I got there. Who knows?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

In Oregon you would be in even deeper trouble. It is now against the law to talk on your phone while driving and I think you have just given us a great example of why it's not a good idea! But, I am glad you avoided a ticket. My husband refers to them as your "stupid tax."

7:01 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Someone texting while driving nearly collided with me the other day. Her car was veering directly into my lane and she corrected only at the last minute, her fingers still punching letters while she drove with her elbows! I wasn't quick enough to get her license number but hells bells, I don't want to be a statistic because someone can't drive without being distracted. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket but even happier that you are considering not driving and talking on the phone at the same time. We lived for eons without a phone in the car - I bet we can do it still.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- I don't want to pay any more "stupid taxes," even if they do help patch the potholes!

Pauline -- Lesson learned. I'm repenting and vowing to change my ways. I'm just glad I didn't cause anyone any harm or have to pay for my mistakes!

Unfortunately it seems about half the people on the road these days are similarly occupied...

9:44 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I know that I've had more than a few wakeup calls about things that result from my own stupidity...

11:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

My guess is that cop decided he had better things to do than stop a woman in a Volvo violating the HOV restrictions. On the criminal scale, that IS pretty mild!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you, the other drivers, and your new haircut all survived.

So: do we get to see the haircut? :-)

F.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

I think they got rid of the HOV lanes in New Jersey because not enough people used them and the other lanes were even more crowded than ever, causing the highways to become parking lots. NOt that they were not already parking lots - but this was worse. Phew! What a relief.

As to talking on the phone - uh - I have never seen anybody here stopped for DWD, although it is illegal.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Glad you lucked out on that. The cop was probably doing paperwork or something. Often the police just park in order to slowdown traffic.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Sometimes I don't remember big chunks of my drive when I am listening to a good book. I think that although I am paying attention to my driving, I am not laying down two sets of memories, I am casting one off neurologically.

I once had to go before a judge to pay off an ignored parking ticket. The majority of the people who were there with me were people who had driven solo in the HOV lane. During some of the worst driving time, being in the HOV lane doesn't get you there any faster!

Lately I've been hearing my friends and family say that they are not going to do something b/c of the traffic involved. I try not to be like that... I say, I will not manage my life around traffic!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home