Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bitter Tea



I just read this article sent to me by someone near and dear and shuddered at what we’ve come to in this country.  It almost feels like we’re living out some Margaret Atwood novel, and you know they never have happy endings.
What the article clearly depicts is a bunch of whiners making up the Tea Party Movement -- people who know how to bellyache about the status quo, but who offer no real solutions to fixing the problems they are complaining about.  As this other article sent to me by the same person indicates, they are simply letting off steam.
But then what after all the steam is gone?  The second article rightly asserts that we need the return of statesmen to government -- people who are not shackled by party membership, but rather feel free to vote for what they think is right.  In a recent vote, there were two brave souls who chose to part ranks with the Republican Party, and they were both finishing up their terms this year and not seeking re-election.  
I read an interview with Walter Mondale, in which he likened the state of the Obama administration to the hopeless situation in which Carter found himself (with Mondale as VP). He offered Obama some advice, but it may be too late to save this ship.
I hate to think of what this country would be like if the Tea Party really prevails.  Canada or Mexico might look good.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extended family members include me in mass e-mailings that are anti-immigrant, anti-abortion, pro-military, right-wing, creationist, etc. Which would be OK in its way -- it certainly gives me insight into my own family! -- except that the messages are virtually all factually incorrect, and dumb to boot.

People -- on the left, on the right, in the middle, none of the above -- will believe what they want to believe. Or so I believe. :-)

F.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Who was that brilliant "near and dear" fellow?? At heart, I believe most tea party sympathizers are racist, anti-immigrant, ignorant folks yearning for the "good old days" before these uppity folks started "taking over". The sudden outcry over deficit spending is a smoke-screen. As the articles have pointed out, where were they when George W. was running up unbelievable deficits trying to run 2 wars while cutting taxes.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Your family runs the political spectrum it would seem! A lot of bad information is being spread around in the interest of "taking back America".

Dsquared -- You have long been a great source of inspiration!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The whole Tea Party movement really bothers me. For the most part, its members do, in fact, have elected representatives in Congress. They just don't like what they're doing.

I don't even have that. I have their elected representatives approving the laws and the budget in my city and I'm glad that they don't represent the very select few that seem to make up the tea party. I'd just be happier if there was someone there to represent me.

4:52 PM  
Blogger e said...

I find no political representation of my views and I am increasingly disheartened by the increasing polarisation and vitriolic nonsense from republicans and dems and those who see the Tea Party as a solution. We have so many problems to resolve and finger-pointing does nothing for anyone.

I too have family that would send anti-immigrant, anti-abortion,pro-military and right wing messeges except that I have told them not to and don't respond if they do. This means I rarely hear from them which is fine by me.

Sorry for the mini-rant...

9:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Hopefully some day DC will have proper representation. Until then you are at everyone else's mercy!

E -- I actually started worrying more seriously about the whole mess our government is in when I read this article in the Aug. 9 New Yorker. It talked about the state of brokenness of the Senate, a once highly venerated body of legislators.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I read that line about being in a Margaret Atwood novel and I had to agree - none of this is going to end well...

6:54 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

my buddy Mike doesn't pull too many punches on this...
http://futility.typepad.com/futility/2010/09/thinking-can-kill-you-but-not-if-you-immerse-your-head-in-that-vat-filled-with-asinine-ideas-called-.html

I have a lot of Tea Party friends and frankly I can't believe they are my friends.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

BH -- Followed your link. He calls a spade a spade, yes? I love the concept of "the death of cognition".

Where you been anyway?

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home