Tuesday, September 28, 2010

PT



My wonderful PT person Jennifer Gamboa was interviewed for an article in today's The Wall Street Journal.  I feel like I know a celebrity!  But she was just as down-to-earth as ever in my hour session with her at noon.
Re-learning to walk is not an easy process it turns out.  As are many things learned at an older age, it is much more mental and complicated than what a toddler goes through.  
I went into this latest round of PT without a lot of expectations.  But I am actually pleasantly surprised at the results.
My latest investment for my “home program” was a $6 floor-length mirror from Target which I propped up in the basement, so I can now have a ramp to observe my gait.  
Perhaps the turning point for me was a couple of weeks ago when Jen had me balance on the curved side of a Bosu ball in an effort to wipe out or reset my natural instincts about balance and weight distribution.  Although I was allowed to hold onto her as was necessary, it was a rather terrifying experience, especially when she had me close my eyes.  Given that we own a Bosu ball, 5 minutes of balancing a day was added to my homework.
The next time I saw her, I was able to dance on the Bosu ball.  It felt like a liberation from some bad habits.  
Sometimes I think I have learned much more about the intricacies of walking than I could ever put in practice.  I now understand about rotation and weight shift and heel strike and even the need to have level shoulders.  I have learned some ways to check for my usual mistakes and how to fix them.

But I am still at the point where I have to make a conscious effort to walk correctly.  Hopefully with strengthening and with time and with 10,000 repetitions (as Jen reminded me today), this new way of walking will not require so much concentration.  I’m not sure which one of us is more excited about my progress.
Read the WSJ article and get just a small sample of this person who is making such a difference for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger e said...

How lovely for you; the woman in the article was fortunate as well. Does your PT design fitness programs for people, too?

6:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- Just this morning I talked to Jen about this. We agreed that by the end of my PT with her I would have a full-body fitness program that I could do at home or at the gym. It is such a pleasure to work with someone so highly qualified who really loves what she does and cheers on even the smallest improvement!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It all sounds so great and like you're really learning how to walk in a different way. How wonderful! I'm glad you've found someone so supportive (and qualified) to help.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I so admire your perseverance. To relearn something is difficult and time consuming but what you are doing will be worth it in the end.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home