Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fun on Friday


I thought you might like a report on my spontaneous Friday afternoon. It turned out to be just the thing I needed to reaffirm how much fun companionship can be.

My late morning piano lesson included a wonderful mix of Mozart, Debussy, and Gershwin, all pieces that are hard enough to be a challenge but within my realm of possibility. I continue to learn subtleties from my teacher that make me fall in love with this music.

After my lesson we made a tuna sandwich and had Mallomars for dessert. I doubt I have have had one of those cookies in 50 years!

We had thought of going to a museum, but instead decided to hit her favorite Bethesda consignment shop, Gallery St. Elmo, a mom-and-pop place that could entertain for hours. She has an elegant house that is an incredible mix of priceless treasures and finds from places like this little shop.

What is so great about the place is that all the junk has been sent to Goodwill and what’s left are other people’s more interesting things of a lifetime. In the back room where we mostly hung out, most things ranged between $10 and $30.

We laughed at some things and wondered who would have ever used them and for what. Others just fell into my shopping basket as if they were meant to be there.

I ended up with 6 items, all of which I will definitely use:

Two ceramic pieces that match the new color on my living room fireplace wall
A lacquered box with an Egyptian motif that now graces my living room coffee table
A hand-painted Italian serving plate
An Armetale wine bottle holder
A small glass vase which will do well with tulips

I find myself wanting to know the history of each item -- where it was purchased, for whom, why it was no longer needed.  

It was such a perfect afternoon with someone I absolutely adore. You would never know there are almost 20 years between our ages. I’m looking forward to our next adventure.

7 Comments:

Blogger dennis said...

Dennis says the return of the Mallomars is always on a news broadcast here in NY where 70% of all Mallomars are sold. Malomars are very important cookies --

6:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Dennis -- Our lunch-time Mallomars did indeed from from NYC with my friend's cousin I think. They are very much a New York family through and through!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

a Mallomar! Haven't had one of those since I was in grammar school! Glad you had such a good day :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Those little pots are beautiful! How great that they have found a new home.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like a perfectly wonderful way to spend a Friday afternoon. Good for you!

10:57 AM  
Blogger e said...

I'm not sure I know what a Mallomar is, I'll Google and see...
I always enjoy learning the history of things. It sounds like a lovely time.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

What wonderful finds. I love buying secondhand treasures. I am very envious of the painted box!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home