Friday, October 08, 2010

Jake's Decline


I slept badly and woke up in fear of Jake’s condition.  His back legs aren’t working so well any longer.
Last night I had noticed that he was having trouble jumping up on the new love seat, his current favorite spot.  He finally circled, tried several times, and then made it.  But after I went to bed I was suddenly wakened to my husband saying, “I think Jake’s in trouble.  He struggled to get up and barely made it up the stairs.”
I listened to him breathing on the floor at the foot of the bed and woke fully every time he stirred.  I worried what would happen if I couldn’t get him downstairs in the morning.
But morning finally came and with great difficulty, Jake made it to all four feet.  I searched for an old dog bed in the attic, probably purchased when departed Dylan was in a similar bad way.  And we slowly made our way downstairs for breakfast, both nursing stiff and sore right hips.
At first he could only get his front half on the dog bed, but now he seems to have gotten the hang of it.
I’m thinking of calling Dr. Smith, his vet, to see if there is some miracle medicine that might buy him some time.  Although he is fairly blind and deaf, he’s not ready to leave just yet and I’m certainly not willing to let him go.
I’ve already started to wonder if there will ever be another dog as good as Jake in my life.  He’s such a faithful companion and I can’t imagine life without him.  It is so hard for me to see him failing.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Barbara, tears started falling as I read this. I know it's so very hard to see these changes in your sweet, beloved companion. He's gradually settling down for his final journey.

Personally, I don't think it could hurt to call the vet. No miracle cures forthcoming, alas, but the fact that a somewhat sudden shift happened makes one wonder.

Hugs and love to you and Jake, both!

F.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Jake spent the day as a "drop off" at the vet's waiting for a space when she could fit him into her busy schedule. She concluded that he may have traumatized his left rear leg yesterday, which would be consistent with the sudden worsening of his mobility. She is putting him on an anti-inflammatory drug and will reassess with an X-ray in a week if he is not greatly improved. I suppose this is about as good as the news could be...

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the update and tentatively good news! Sweet boy.

F.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That does sound like some hopeful news. I hope he recovers. Keeping my fingers crossed and thinking of all of you.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I remember all too vividly the last bit of my Jake's life - it's horrible trying to figure out what's going on and what to do next.

Sending lots of good energy to Jake and you!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

My best to Jake and of course, to you.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I hope Jake is feeling better soon. I know it is hard to see him struggling like this and heartbreaking for you as well.

12:35 AM  
Blogger karen said...

oh no! I also found my keyboard becoming a bit blurred, while reading this. The photo of him on his bed is so lovely, just makes me want to give him a cuddle. I am glad that at least there is a reason for his immobility, and that he's getting some treatment. However in general the ageing process really is very sad to think about, and I have gone through this a few times with our beloved animal companions - it's not easy at all. Sending you supportive wishes all the way from africa x

6:47 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Jake is such a cutie in your pics. I know that devastating feeling of seeing a beloved pup age. Hopefully the anti-inflammatory drug will provide some relief. Give him some extra love from me.

Off topic I wanted to tell you that I had my first piano lesson with Matteo this morning. We reviewed keys (on the piano) and notes (in the book). I have my homework which is to know the names of all the keys without having to figure it out and practice a few things, including the C major scale.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about Jake's decline. I hope he's doing better now!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home