Saturday, October 02, 2010

In the beginning


Today we started at the very beginning of the Torah once again, reminding ourselves about creation and original sin.  Our rabbi Danny read this wonderful poem, with its interesting perspective of THE TREE at the end:


The Expulsion

Adam was happy -- now he had someone to blame
for everything: shipwrecks, Troy,
the gray face in the mirror.
Eve was happy -- now he would always need her.
She walked on boldly, swaying her beautiful hips.
The serpent admired his emerald coat, 
the Angel burst into flames
(he'd never approved of them, and he was right).
Even God was secretly pleased: Let
History begin!
The dog had no regrets, trotting by Adam's side
self-importantly, glad to be rid
of the lion, the toad, the basilisk, the white-footed mouse,
who were also happy and forgot their names immediately.
Only the Tree of Knowledge stood forlorn,
its small hard bitter crab apples
glinting high up, in a twilight of black leaves.
How pleasant it had been, how unexpected
to have been, however briefly,
the center of attention.
                        -- by Katha Pollitt
                            
from The Mind-Body Problem (Random House, 2009)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

How simple and yet so beautiful.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I wanted to tell you that you and Reya have inspired me to give piano lessons another go. I found a teacher today that I think will suit me. We begin next Saturday. In a lame attempt to connect with your post I could say that this is a beginning...

Thanks for the inspiration.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- How exciting that you are going to resume studying the piano. Next time I see you we can play a duet together! I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do.

I gave Margalen another lesson today. At one point she exclaimed "I get it!" Boy, does that ever make a teacher feel good!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those "light bulb" moments are the best!! Yay for you both!

F.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home