Friday, December 10, 2010

Tango


I couldn’t dance the tango if my life depended on it, but I have fallen in love with the music.  I have thrown myself into the hotly emotional world of Granados, Piazzolla, Albeniz.
These lushly romantic pieces seemed the natural extension from the Gershwin preludes I was playing a few weeks ago.  My teacher seems to have a bottomless treasure trove of old music.
It’s tricky to play for many reasons.  The most obvious is the rhythm that is counter-intuitive to my ears and my heartbeat.  The natural accompaniment to the tango is a guitar; so the piano must mimic the guitar strings.
As I look at Piazzolla’s “Adios Nonino”, I see a note on the first page “con honda tristeza” -- with great sorrow, in fact a wave of sadness.  It’s music that is simply exuding love.
Sitting down to practice is a chance to experience the tango as my feet never will.  I think the effect is the same.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I am so envious. I want to play a tango on the piano but all I can do is Camptown Races.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- Before you know it, you will be able to play whatever you choose to play I'm sure. Besides, much music comes in simplified versions that really sound good. Ask your teacher!

I like Camptown Races a lot! :)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That Latin American piano music is really sensuous. It's cool to be able to enter other worlds and cultures through music.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I agree. I can easily find myself in Buenos Aires when playing that music. I do need a guitar or maybe an accordion to make it official though!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you played anything by Ernesto Nazareth? I can send you a few if you like...

F.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Fantastic, Barbara. What great music. Such passion.

10:38 AM  
Blogger e said...

I was always two left feet on the dance floor, but I loved the music. Once you learn the music, play it twice, once for all the left feet, and once for you. I've never heard you play, but you'll do it beautifully I'm sure.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home