Saturday, December 04, 2010

Cooking All Night


I am sick today with a virus that makes my throat hurt.  It’s not incapacitating, but it has slowed me down to a crawl.
Yesterday at precisely 10 AM I felt it take up residence in my body.  One minute I was fine; the next minute gunk was running down my throat.  I went through the day trying to blame it on leaf mold and hoping it would pass.
But as I slept last night I knew I was sick.  So what did I do?  I made chicken soup all night in my sleep, hoping just the thought of it would start the healing process.  Every time I woke up and swallowed, I started the pot all over again, using the big container of homemade chicken stock in the refrig as the starting point.  With each iteration, I added a new ingredient.
I had no choice when I woke up but to make the soup that had been simmering all night in my head.  So I gargled with warm salt water and then started cooking.  Here’s what went into my mostly vegetarian chicken soup:
Stock made from chicken feet
Yellow onion
Green onion
Garlic
Ginger
Fresh turmeric
Carrots
Kale
Snippets of fresh dill
Pepper corns
Sprinkling of salt
I sauteed the vegetables in a little olive oil, then added the stock and the seasoning and let it simmer while I ate breakfast.
For lunch I’m discovering how my dream soup turned out.  It’s warm and spicy with the wonderful bite of vegetables that were not cooked to death.  Not your traditional Jewish penicillin, but just what my body ordered.  I hope it kicks in soon and the virus leaves as suddenly as it arrived.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you're sick! (But: what a dream! You know how to take care of yourself.) I hope you feel better very soon.

F.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

How lucky you are to dream of making soup when you're sick - I dream of solving math problems! It's a good day to make soup here - cold and blustery and gray. I am taking care of Ada - perhaps I will make soup while she looks on from her bouncy chair. Then we'll both bundle up well and go for a walk while the simmering soup makes the house smell divine.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- It's funny that I remembered this dream so vividly since I usually have no recollection of dreams.

Pauline -- I hope your soup is as yummy as mine. Enjoy your time with Ada!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I am sick too. Went to Urgent Care this morning and learned I have a sinus infection, producing that familiar "gunk running down throat" and other symptoms. Got the Z-pak antibiotic and am eating turkey soup, made from the turkey bones--hope turkeys are as therapeutic as chickens. Feel better. If the chicken soup doesn't help, check out the Z-pak.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- I hope you feel better soon.

This afternoon we saw the Duke Ellington (Performing Arts) HS performance of Dream Girls. A propos of soup dreams, but a lot better music.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

That is a pretty productive sickness. I hope it does the trick and you are feeling better soon.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Feel better, Barbara! That sounds sounds like the perfect start down the road to recovery.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

How are you feeling?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I'm still hacking away, but hopefully by tomorrow I can handle Monday's activities. I'm looking forward to another session with Margalen, who is probably the source of my virus, since she has been sniffling and coughing the past 2 Mondays. I really don't know how you teachers manage to stay well!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

My first few years of teaching I felt like I was sick all the time. Over the years I guess I have built up a resistance to the germs that are so easily passed around by children - thank goodness. Take care of yourself and don't push it.

10:52 PM  
Blogger e said...

I hope the soup does the trick! I'm off to bed, it is freezing here!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home