Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sew Cute


My daughter is one of the most creative people I know. Until recently drawing and painting have been her primary creative outlets. But now she has discovered how much she likes to sew.

She saw some adorable aprons at Anthropologie and determined to make something similar. She learned a lot making the first apron, which she gave as a birthday present.

While she was home on spring break, we made a trip to Georgetown so I could see the Anthropologie aprons and we could take some measurements. The model we both liked a lot is pictured above.

Then we went shopping for coordinating prints and solids for our version of the same. When we came home, I made a pattern and we started cutting.


I was determined to finish my apron last night, staying up entirely past my bedtime. I know a few things I will do differently the next time, but I think the finished product is cute enough.




Meanwhile, my daughter is sewing away downstairs, making a similar apron but one with her special touch.

I love projects like this that don’t take forever and still produce something worthwhile.

Did we save money? Probably not a lot. But it’s more about the fun of making something.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That apron is totally adorable and it sounds like it was really fun to make. Will we see a picture of your daughter's apron too?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Love it!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love thinking about you two making aprons together! Very homey and sweet. Yours is adorable!

F.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Very nice! I've spent loads of money on cute aprons for both my sister and nieces, matching, not matching, whatever. It's hard to find a good one and I'm so not good with a needle!

9:10 PM  
Blogger e said...

Very cute, though sewing is not among my talents in this life.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I still have an apron I made when I was twelve. I think it was the first "proper" thing I ever made, although my mother had me sewing earlier. Eight? Yours is charming and what a wonderful project.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cube -- I started sewing on my own at 6 and by 10 had made my father a tailored shirt and was making many of my own clothes. I earned my spending money by entering sewing in the county fair. What a nerd I was!

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home