Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Note of Optimism


Another Mary Oliver poem (read by our rabbi Esther) from her book Evidence, which I just purchased.
Halleluiah by Mary Oliver
Everyone should be born into this world happy
   and loving everything.
But in truth it rarely works that way.
For myself, I have spent my life clamoring toward it.
Halleluiah, anyway I’m not where I started!
And have you too been trudging like that, sometimes
   almost forgetting how wonderful the world is
      and how miraculously kind some people can be?
And have you too decided that nothing important
   is ever easy?
Not, say, for the first sixty years.
Halleluiah, I’m sixty now, and even a little more,
and some days I feel I have wings.

2 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I think this should be your posted quote on your blog as it describes you wonderfully. I hope you'll remind me of this if I am lucky enough to see my sixties. Happy New Year!

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto e's comment! This does describe you. Thanks for sharing yet another marvelous, inspiring Mary Oliver poem.

Most days I do a "gratitude list" of sorts, and consciously cultivate gratitude in other ways, and it makes a huge difference in my mood and outlook! Thanks for the reminder. And a very happy new year to you!

F.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home