Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reentry


I’m not sure why, but I seem to be having a hard time adjusting to regular life once again now that our Chilean odyssey is over.  I’m feeling reluctant to jump back on the roller coaster that life here seems to be.
We’ve traveled to a lot of places, but for some reason this trip seemed more perfect than others.  It may have had something to do with the fact that much of it was unplanned.  We went with the idea of visiting certain places, but much of our daily itinerary was planned each day as we sat down to breakfast.  It was great not to have to jump on a tour bus or meet a guide.  We were responsible only to each other.  And for the most part, we were quite in agreement about how to spend our time.
The above picture is a pisco sour, something like the national drink of Chile.  I drank them at any occasion, even during the middle of the day once when the plato del dia featured the choice of fruit juice or a pisco sour.  I seldom have a glass of wine with dinner back home, let alone a cocktail before dinner!  When eating out with friends on Sunday, I convinced the restaurant proprietor, who was Chilean, to make me a pisco sour.
Before I left on vacation, I had a routine of exercising each day and practicing the piano for an hour or so daily.  I’ve taken Jake on a few walks and doodled around at the piano a couple of times, but the discipline just isn’t there.  I find myself easily getting sidetracked and feeling no guilt whatsoever. 
It’s not realistic to think of being on vacation all the time, but three weeks of being without responsibility and obligations has made me want greater freedom in my life.
We started a new book tonight in my meditation group:  The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.  The opening chapter concerned someone who reminded me of myself in my current dilemma.  The secret seems to be in learning how to approach even the repetitive things in life mindfully as opposed to viewing them as obligations.
My goal over the next few weeks is to find enjoyment in what I’m doing.  It may just not be worth doing if there isn’t an element of pleasure or fulfillment.

2 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Perhaps a by-product of this trip, the desire for more freedom in your life, will lead to new paths and insights. Could be very interesting for you.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Part of the purpose of a vacation is to break us out of our routines, so that we see them anew when we return. It provides an opportunity to reevaluate everything we do. It sounds like you're in that phase -- which is good!

I've never head of a pisco sour. What's in one?

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home