Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Who's Looking?

I was surprised to learn recently from my geeky techie husband that “Profile Views” on the BLOGGER profile page indicates the number of times someone has looked at your profile. I was totally shocked to find that my profile had been accessed by 74 people! Then I wondered just who those 74 people were – why they came, what they thought, whether they ever came back to my BLOG. Why is it that I am so curious about my readers? Probably because I usually think I don’t have more than a couple, and now I discover there are 74 people out there who have visited my BLOG. “Daunting” as one person put it. Indeed.

Of course, I went on to check out the same stats for other BLOGgers, to find that there are people out there with Profile Views in the thousands! Those are the ones that appear on everyone’s link list.

It’s almost too bad there isn’t a guest book where people can indicate “I was here.” I sound like a friggin’ hypocrite, saying “I write just for myself, but by the way, I surely would like to know who’s reading!” OK, which is it?

4 Comments:

Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Barbara; it was great to meet you :-) That software I had mentioned is called "sitemeter" and can be found a http://www.sitemeter.com/

8:33 AM  
Blogger Jamy said...

You can install a guestbook too! I have one on my site, but not that many people have signed. Most left very flattering messages, which is something, I suppose. :)

10:11 PM  
Blogger DC Food Blog said...

I think there's no shame in relaizing how empowering it is to have people pay attention. I tried to keep a written journal and it was awful. All this "dear diary, I had a great cup of frozen yogurt." My writing is SOOO much better online.

9:19 AM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

Ok, I stumbled upon this post from a long time ago and notice that you don't seem to have a site meter yet! (Unless it's not visible, and what's the fun of that?) Do you need some help adding one? I use www.sitemeter.com and find it great to be able to see where people are coming from geographically & link wise, referring links. It's a good time!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home