Friday, December 23, 2005

More Holiday Spirit

This day just didn’t turn out the way I had envisioned that it would. I was planning to go into work and spend the morning writing up juicy awards for my staff, since the government lacks the concept of an end-of-the-year bonus. All of them are really good with one exception and deserve every extra dollar I can pass on. Then I was going to spend some time online at lunchtime and look for a message about an early dismissal.

Instead the problems created by my one exception hit me smack in the face and I spent literally all day, even working through lunch, trying to sort them out. In fact, I couldn’t even leave when the Secretary of Commerce so graciously gave us 2 hours off. Now that really SUCKS when you can’t take advantage of the rare early out. As much as I might like to discipline this employee who screwed up my day, I feel guilty every time I chastise him because he has so many serious health issues that it is amazing he is still working. So I finally left with the problems still unsolved, wished him a Merry Christmas, and decided to stop by Whole Foods (in Ballston) to pick up the ingredients for some soothing chicken soup, hoping that would put me in a better mood to approach a 3-day weekend.

I figured that with two days until Christmas, the store wouldn’t yet be a zoo. I should have known when the parking lot was full that this was a bad idea and just packed it in. Oh no, instead I parked in a lot across the street and determined that I would just zip in and out despite the crowd, quickly finding the dozen items I needed.

I don’t know when I have seen that store so packed. At one point, four of us shoppers were facing each other, much like at a 4-way stop where nobody knows who has the right of way. I found myself getting angry at a lady with a baby in a stroller who was just lolling down the aisle, but not permitting anyone to pass. There were no packages of chicken parts in the case – since when does turkey totally preempt chicken? So I waited while some junior butcher cut up a chicken for me. The crowds around every sampling station were unprecedented.

I finally did it. I made it to the checkout area, paid, and lugged my two very heavy bags of groceries to the car. I truly hope I can avoid that store until this madness is over.

1 Comments:

Blogger alwswrite said...

I was going to hit the WF in my neighborhood, but now I'll think twice. Hopefully the gym won't be as crowded as the grocery store; I doubt many people have the neurotic foresight (like I do) to work off their holiday meals before they eat them.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home