Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Frog Eyes

As I washed my face last night I suddenly looked in the mirror and said: OH MY GOD, you’ve got your father’s drooping eyelids. Even a month ago, I thought of my eyes as being happy and, well, not looking older than my age, especially with a little eye makeup artfully applied. But last night they suddenly looked sad and old and the eyelids were full of wrinkles and very droopy.

Could this just have happened? Or could this be one of the unwritten side-effects of the radiation I just received? Probably not. It’s probably been a gradual thing that all of a sudden became apparent to me. FROG EYES, that’s the only way I could describe them.

I have always thought that I would grow old gracefully, just accepting what nature dealt me as part of the process. But I must confess that my mind immediately started to remember those pages in the Washingtonian that advertized private clinics with the before and after pictures that indeed turned ugly old faces into beautiful young ones. Would I dare visit one of those places? If I did, would I be tempted to deal with more than just my eyes? Oy vey! Probably not, but I haven’t totally dismissed the idea. In fact, I thought of my 75-year-old friend Betty who looks so young and realized that it’s her eyes that hide her years – they don’t have that wrinkled saggy look. My guess is that once your eyelids get this droopy look, the skin doesn’t just tighten up on its own.

Then again maybe I should start with a visit to an expensive spa and treat myself to a facial as a belated present for the birthday that I failed to celebrate in the midst of my recent health crisis. Or maybe I should go sit at the Mac counter at Nordstroms and let some cute young girl paint my face and sell me a bag full of expensive creams and colors and brushes. Maybe that would be a less costly, less painful way to deal with my recently acquired frog eyes.

Maybe just feeling 100% again will at least add the happy back into my eyes. But I may need someone’s help as to what to do about my eyelids that seem to be stretching and folding and look froggier every time I glance at the mirror. So it’s my turn to ask for advice! Bring it on...

2 Comments:

Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Here's a tip: At 3:35am, you should be in bed!!

Youth is in the eyes, not the lids. I wouldn't worry on it too much :-)

10:07 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OK, AUA. (See I told you you will make a great dad some day!) I always forget to change the time when I post. It was really 6:35 AM. I often write when I first wake up. Thanks for your vote of confidence, but let me tell you, getting older sometimes SUCKS when you look in the mirror...

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home