Saturday, February 18, 2006

Second-Hand Technology

I’m getting a new digital camera! Well, not exactly new, but new to me. My husband loves new technology and really wants an SLR camera for his birthday (on February 22). His rationale for getting one is that I could use my own camera and if he gave me his, that would leave him without one. Similar logic has resulted in my current computer and my cell phone and my Ipod, which I must confess I have turned on only once. I refused the offer of a Palm Pilot, although every time I forget something I realize that I could probably use one.

This is actually a win-win situation, except for our bank account, which definitely takes a hit with every step up the technology ladder. My husband is so technologically capable that he will make full use of all the new bells and whistles. Whereas I can usually do just fine with the bare minimum, having an aversion to loading up my mind with a bunch of additional instructions.

I’m getting somewhat excited about my new old camera. Now I can take pictures and learn how to include them in my posts, the way the rest of you technologically savvy Bloggers do. Of course, I’ll probably ask my husband for some instruction both in how to use the camera and how to post pictures.

My children have always teased me about being a technological retard, especially since my job is in the IT field. But the truth is that I am just not interested in anything beyond the computers I work with all day long. I don’t feel the least bit guilty at home about my ignorance or indifference, telling myself that my expertise is in cooking and sewing and playing the piano.

So hopefully one of these days soon you will see the results of my new acquisition. Meanwhile, if you are reading this Prod&Ponder, please give me an idea about where to get a good camera (like yours that inspired my husband when he met you at TM’s Bowling Together)! My husband would be quite impressed if I actually bought his birthday camera, or at least wrapped up a picture of the one I had ordered for him!

2 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I'm not Prod & Ponder, but I can offer that the guy at Ritz Camera on pennsylvania Ave. spent an hour with me when I bought my camera. He was great, patient, well informed. He really helped me. As for David, though, shouldn't you give him a gift certificate and let him choose the camera with just the right doodads? There are so many possible combinations of doodads. However you swing it, it's going to be great to see pics by you in your blog.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Ritz Camera is good. I think Prod and Ponder uses a Canon...the information on his camera is over on his blog. I recommend, depending on how many bells/whistles you want, the Nikon D70 or D50. There is a D50 now at Ritz that they had at a good price with an extra lens. Ritz or Penn Cameras are both good sources to get more information.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home