Friday, February 24, 2006

What Is a Friend?

I’ve thought about this a lot lately. To me a friend is someone who

– Is honest with you.
– Always reads your e-mails and eventually answers them.
– Doesn’t always agree with you but can accept your opinion or belief.
– Once you’ve said “I love you” to each other doesn’t go backwards.
– Will make chicken soup for you when you are sick.
– Will give you a band-aid when you skin your knee.
– Tries to understand why you like the other people that you do.
– Will provide the glasses and the corkscrew if you bring the bottle of wine.
– Can make up after being angry with you.
– Doesn’t hold grudges.
– Will share a latte with you if there is only enough money for one.
– Doesn’t spread malicious gossip about you and expects that you won’t either.
– Graciously accepts your gifts.
– Remembers your birthday.
– Accepts you as you are and doesn’t expect you to change.
– Keeps promises.
– Carries half the weight of the friendship.
– Can shower you with glitter when you are happy.
– Will give you a hug and a tissue when you are sad.
– Feels your pain.
– Laughs at your jokes.
– Gives you space and time when you need them.
– Trusts you.
– Shows you respect.

Can you add anything to this list?

2 Comments:

Blogger alwswrite said...

I need work on that birthday thing.

Great post with good timing -- my best friend is visiting this weekend and she's all those things and more.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I like the list. I'm going to have to think about it more, figure out if I'm a good friend, if there's anything to add. You've done such a great job and have me thinking about so many friends from so many different places and times in my life.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home