Sunday, April 23, 2006

No Lock, No Problem

I just couldn’t pass up a bike ride on an afternoon like we had today. The sky was completely blue without even a wisp of a cloud and there was a slight breeze. I drenched all exposed skin in sunscreen and put on my bike shorts and my helmet. Then I was off.

Mine was a ride with a mission, however. I needed orange juice and some new polish for my toes, plus my daily latte at Starbucks. So my destination was the obnoxiously large Giant Foods just about 2 miles from my house.

I took back roads with little traffic. The only bad part was crossing busy Route 7, which I managed to do at a light. However, as I neared the entrance to the Giant, I said to myself, “Shit! I don’t have a lock for my bike.” My bike if unlocked might be a temptation to someone in this area. I was thinking of leaving it outside and asking the guy who pushes the carts around and loads groceries to watch it, but he looked at me like I was crazy. So I walked it inside and asked if I could leave it in the Customer Service area where they sell money orders, cigarettes, and other things they are worried will be shop-lifted. The tall African-American guy working there said “Sure” and went right on helping the next customer.

So I bought my several items, loaded them in the container on the back of my bike, and headed off for Starbucks. This was the first time I was happy to see all the Ethiopian men drinking coffee out front. I asked if they would watch my bike and one who spoke English said “No problem.”

My only real dilemma was what do to next. I had steaming hot coffee and needed 2 hands to ride my bike. I eventually figured out how to put my latte cup in the water bottle holder and I was on my way back home.

This was my first ride of the season and it just whetted my appetite. Next weekend maybe I’ll ride down by the river. There are so many nice places to ride a bike in metro Washington, DC. I'll have to remember to bring a lock with me...

4 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You MUST buy a lock and we will take a ride together. It'll be fun!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

This reminds me of the summer I spent in Ann Arbor--I biked to the grocery store and didn't have my lock. It wasn't crowded and I just rolled my bike in there and loaded up its basket. The only comment I got was from one employee who said, "Oh, that's a good idea." It was a Whole Foods. :)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I already own a lock. I just forgot to bring it on this trip. Yes, let's take a ride together. How about down by the river? Maybe early morning or late afternoon when the light is just perfect. Can't wait!

Jamy -- I like your idea. How different is pushing a bicycle from pushing a grocery cart? You are always so clever!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I definitely need a bike.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home