Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Missing the City -- DC that is

As I drove into the city for my 9:15 doctor's appointment (unrelated to yesterday's stomach malady), I almost enjoyed the hustle bustle of traffic, moving slowly into downtown DC. I loved that I could get out of my car and find a Starbucks within a block. Being in the city made me wish I had worn a nice suit and good heels instead of my casual work clothes with sandals.

I really like the feeling I get walking down the sidewalk passing people of all descriptions and all generations, all seemingly intent on going some place. I even saw a child doing homework in the Starbucks, probably waiting for a nearby school to start.

The life of the city is quite in contrast to the feeling I get as I exit the Suitland Parkway and enter the suburban ghetto. There the people are mostly waiting – waiting for a bus, waiting to make a drug connection, or just waiting for life to call them into action. WOW – what a contrast!

This morning I longed for a downtown job once again, as I had had many years ago. I wanted to be part of that pulsing throng that testifies to the life of the city. I wanted this so badly until I went to leave and the parking attendant said, "That will be $15 for 1 hour and 9 minutes." At least the suburban ghetto offers free parking!

(My apologies to Kate, who seems to expect that I will post before 12 noon!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

:-)

That signpost is right around the corner from my office at 1725 Eye....next time stop in.

K

1:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Better yet, I'll meet you at the Starbucks!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Or we could all 3 meet at the cool Asian fusion restaurant where I first met Kate. ?? Lunch? Yes please.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like you're feeling better - I'm so glad! (And I do love this city.)

2:02 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Exactly the reasons I live in VA, and work and party in DC. It's the best of both world.s

5:12 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Am always up for lunch at Cafe Asia....you two pick the day, although is a bit far for Barbara to come for lunch.

:-)

And Sbucks or Caribou.......pick the spot since they are both close!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

As for me, I'm 20 minutes from downtown DC and always looking for a good reason to have lunch in town!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Okay, Ladies......will continue this lunch discussion by email.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home