Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Impossible Dream

Do you ever wonder about all the things you have never experienced? For me this list is probably a lot longer than the list of my experiences.

It includes things that take more nerve than I have been able to muster – like hang-gliding, bungy-jumping, and scuba diving. I don’t even go on roller coasters any longer. But I once was addicted to them and I imagine I would get that same rush from these other adventures.

I’ve never smoked a cigarette (at least not one filled with tobacco). I’ve never snorted cocaine or shot heroine. These are experiences I can easily forego because I know they are addictive and bad for your health.

Then there’s that whole gamut of sexual experiences that only happen occasionally in my dreams. Pursuing any one of them could be a serious threat to my current lifestyle, which is comfortable, stable, and still sexually active.

But with every birthday, I look at my Pandora’s box of inexperience and I wonder what would happen if I just cracked the lid, just a little. Then I become afraid of what might happen and I quickly dismiss this from my mind.

Do you have a mental list of things you might like to try during your lifetime?

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

As a general rule, I do not concern myself with things I consider foolish. However, of late, I have wondered what difference it would have made to my life, to my personal development, if I had been more "normal". HArd to say. Who I am is deeply ingrained within me. I always have acted in a manner consistant with who I am.

There was a recent article in the New York Daily new which claimed that it is our virtues, not our vices we regret.

While I do not regret my lack of "vices" and "foolish behaviour" I do wish that I had been more proactive in following some of my dreams when I was younger. Gets summed up pretty well in this quote from Mark Twain:

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.'

10:02 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- Maybe my 20 years have passed and I am now experiencing Twain's prediction! Everything you said is true for me also. I suppose we are the first of the generation that wants it all and, just maybe, ALL is too much for anyone to actually handle. BTW, I do software also.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I have many things on my list..travel, singing in public,getting published,living in a log cabin ona lake,..my life in actuality has been very limited.

I had a spiritual reading done once that was right on...I was said to be green..in one of my first lives..not much karma at all..a timid rabbit was the predominant image, peeking around the corner to come out and look at life, but then going back to the burrow. Colour was brown for earthiness, and red, for being ruled by my heart.

I think that in my next lives, I will do a heck of a lot more than I have in this one!!!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I'm just glad we have more than one life because my current life has been much like yours! Maybe next time around we'll be the adventurous spirits who dare to be daring.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Sex? During marriage!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Kapt Krazy said...

I can tell you hanggliding is not what most people expect. Once you truely learn how it is not an adreniline rush but rather a peaceful beautiful free place to be. With modern equipment and a good instructor it is statistically safer than most forms of aviation. You can now learn in a very large wing with an instructor with you. Makes it a bunch safer. You should give it a try.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home